Friday, October 21, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Mousse

I invited my mother and Betty, a long-time family friend, to what we like to call "lunch and knitting"  yesterday.  I'm the only one who knits, they just happily chatter away, occasionally making a stitch or two, stopping periodically to sniff the air and wonder what I'm preparing for lunch.  They are a good, appreciative audience, always enjoying how I've set the table, loving the food, and showering me with so many compliments that, if I were any kind of person, I'd be red with embarrassment, rather than sucking them up greedily.

I'll be sharing all of the recipes with you over the next couple of days, but today it's all about the dessert.  Witch finger cookies brought smiles, curiosity, and conversation.  After all, who could not make a comment about these?  The pumpkin mouse, well, Betty said it best when she said, "I love this so much I could smear it all over my body."

This recipe is from an old (November 1998) issue of Gourmet Magazine.  I find it very easy to make, and think it is wonderful when the gingersnaps are replaced with those little Heath bar bits (equally yummy whether you use the chocolate coasted ones, or not...but go for the chocolate, you know what I've told you about the whole pumpkin-chocolate combination).

Pumpkin Spice Mousse

1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (less than 1 envelope)
1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
3 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin (slightly less than a 15-ounce can)
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups well-chilled heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla18
Gingersnaps


In a medium metal bowl sprinkle gelatin over cold water to soften 1 minute. Whisk in yolks and sugar and set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook egg mixture, whisking constantly, until an instant-read thermometer inserted 2 inches into mixture registers 160 degrees F. (Tilt bowl to facilitate measuring temperature.) (NOTE:  Be sure to set the mixture over simmering water.  If you try to bring the water to a simmer while whisking the yolks, it will take forever.) Remove bowl from pan and with an electric mixer beat egg mixture until cool and thickened, about 5 minutes (mixture will be very sticky). Beat in pumpkin and spices. Chill pumpkin mixture, covered, until thickened and cool but not set, about 1 hour.

In a bowl with cleaned beaters beat cream with vanilla until it just holds stiff peaks and fold into pumpkin mixture gently but thoroughly. Coarsely crumble 2 gingersnaps into each of 6 Martini glasses (or other 6- to 8-ounce stemmed glasses). Transfer mousse to a large pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip and pipe decoratively over cookies in glasses (or simply spoon mousse into glasses). Chill mousses, uncovered, until firm, about 3 hours, and up to 1 day (loosely cover after 3 hours).

Just before serving, garnish mousses with remaining 6 whole gingersnaps (Or those yummy Heath bar bits.  You'll thank me later.).

Come back tomorrow for the recipe for the Witch Finger Cookies --  Spooky!

5 comments:

So Domesticated said...

Looks decadent... yum!

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

I am feeling a bit under the weather, so that beautiful pumpkin mousse looks extra comforting to me!! I can imagine the luxurious flavors and texture. But that cookie! UGH! I could never eat it!! (That's a compliment!)

Janet Rudolph said...

Glad you found the recipe. Pumpkin mousse is sensational and serving them with the finger cookies--well, brilliant!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

This looks yummy!

Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you this week. Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

Chris said...

Hi Pattie, the pumpkin mousse looks really very inviting - I will have to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing. I found your blog Please pop on over to mine and perhaps you would like to follow me also. I would like that. Hugs, Chris