Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Chi Chi’s Enchilada Casserole

 
I have long been aware of the existence of Chi-Chi’s restaurants I’ve just never been to one. This is a recipe that I found online associated with the restaurant, and I had to give it a try. It was excellent! So much so that I decided to find where the location of the closest restaurant was to where I live so that I could give it a try. The joke turned out to be on me, they have closed the restaurants nationwide. Oh well. At least I have this recipe, and now you do too.Chi Chi’s Enchilada Casserole

2 T. butter

1 T. flour

6 flour tortillas

3 c. half and half

½ t. white pepper

1 t. chicken bouillon

¼ t. Old Bay Seasoning

1 c. pepper jack cheese

½ c. chopped scallions

½ lb. cleaned, deveined medium shrimp, cut into thirds

1 6-oz. can lump crab meat

1 c. shredded cheddar

1/8 t. smoked paprika

 Preheat oven to 380°F. Spray a 1½-qt. baking dish with PAM; set aside.

 Place butter into a medium saucepan, whisking until melted.  Add flour and whisk for 1 minute. Add half and half, white pepper, chicken bouillon, Old Bay Seasoning, and a few gratings freshly ground black pepper. Mix until well combined. Once it begins to simmer, add pepper jack cheese and turn the heat off. Continue to stir until the cheese is well incorporated into the sauce.

 Transfer 1/3 of the cream mixture into your prepared baking dish, another 1/3 into a cup or other such vessel, and leave the remaining 1/3 in the pan to which you will now add the scallions, shrimp, and crab. Mix gently to coat. Turn the heat to medium and continue to cook for 1½ to 2 minutes or until the shrimp is pink. Once done, turn off the heat. If it’s a bit dry, you can add 1 tablespoon of milk.

 In a 10” sauté pan, warm one tortilla at a time, filling each as you go, and gently placing into your baking dish atop the sauce, seam side down. Pour the remaining sauce over the top, and top with cheddar cheese. Slightly sprinkle some paprika over the top.

 Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or cheese has melted.

  As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

3 comments:

Marie Smith said...

This looks sinfully good and we can get fresh shrimp and crabmeat! Yummy!

Linda said...

This looks like a great recipe! I remember Chi-Chi's but I don't remember eating there.

Gina said...

I may have eaten there once, a hundred years ago. But these enchiladas shall live in infamy - I must make them!