Thursday, October 4, 2012

Maple Butter


If you’re a Susan Branch fan like I am, and you don’t already have her Autumn from the Heart of the Home book in your collection, buy it now.  I think it is the best of all of her seasonal books, each of which exudes coziness and charm, and features lovely illustrations, stories, decorating tips, thoughtful little gift ideas, and her yummy, unique recipes.  Below is an easy recipe that I make every fall because it seems to complement almost any muffin or quick bread recipe that I bake.  The addition of the hot sauce may surprise you, but it gives it quite a unique zing without a hint of hot sauce taste.  I like to mold mine into maple leaf shapes and store them in the freezer until I need them.  Make these ahead for Thanksgiving and dazzle your guests when you serve the bread course!

Maple Butter
From Susan Branch’s Autumn from the Heart of the Home

1 cup (2 sticks) Butter, softened
1/4cup real Maple Syrup
½ teaspoon Mexican Hot Sauce, such as Cholula

Beat the butter, syrup, and hot sauce together until combined. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking. pan and cover with another sheet of parchment paper. Press, using a rolling pin to pack the butter to 1/2-inch-thick slab. Chill for 30 minutes. Remove top sheet of parchment paper and cut butter into pats.

 

This post is linked to:

3 comments:

Linda said...

I love honey and/or cinnamon butter but have not made maple butter, so that will be next on my list.

I had not heard about Susan Branch but just reserved that book in my library after following your link - can't wait to pick it up!

Eat Laugh Love said...

Pattie, these look so wonderfully seasonal and super easy. I could imagine slathering this butter on pumpkin bread. YUM. Thanks for sharing.

Denise

Mary said...

Pattie~ What a wonderful idea to freeze these adorable maple leaf pats to have on hand! The addition of the hot sauce sounds so interesting~ I would love to try it!