Saturday, October 13, 2012

Italian Meatballs


A staple of most American dinner tables is spaghetti and meatballs.  I mean, really, who doesn’t like spaghetti and meatballs?  But finding a recipe for a truly good meatball is not all that easy, until now.  (You’re welcome!)  This is a recipe that I have been perfecting over the years and I think I finally have it right.  It is flavorful without being spicy, has a nice texture, and holds its own against whatever sauce you care to use.  You may wonder why the dried onions instead of minced fresh onions.  If you use fresh, the moisture from the onion will be released during cooking and your meatballs will crumble.

Italian Meatballs

1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
3 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon red wine (Chianti, if you have it)
1 extra large egg, beaten
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tablespoons instant minced (dried) onions
1 pound ground chuck
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons olive oil

In medium to large mixing bowl, combine first 7 ingredients, whisking together until well blended.  Add ground chuck, and mix thoroughly with hands until all ingredients are incorporated.  You can mix in the salt and pepper at this point, or add it to the first seven ingredients when you mix them together.  I leave the salt out of the mixture as the Parmesan cheese tends to be salty, so I’d rather add it later than be sorry.

Form meat into balls, using an ice cream scoop to gather up the perfect amount of the meat mixture and then forming the balls gently with your hands.  Place them on a cookie sheet as you form them.

In a large sautĂ© pan, heat olive oil until hot.  Gently place meatballs into the pan and brown on all sides, turning as necessary to accomplish this.  When browned, remove to a paper towel lined plate and allow to drain.  At this point you can refrigerate or freeze them for later use.  Otherwise, put them into a large saucepan, cover with your favorite sauce, and allow to simmer on low heat for 35-45 minutes.

Serve atop your favorite pasta with gratings of Parmesan cheese.  Mangia!

This post is linked to:




6 comments:

Lori E said...

Sounds good and basic to me. Similar to how I make them but with a few differences.
I make them in a huge lot and then freeze them. Sadly last time I went to all the work of making trays of them there was a recall on the ground beef and I had to return all of it to Costco and get my money back.
Now I have none and you are making crave them.

Mary said...

Pattie~ Your meatballs look like they're straight out of an Italian menu or cookbook! What a brilliant idea to use minced onions!

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

Looks so delicious...

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Looks wonderful, Pattie. I was just thinking about making meatballs. Your recipe looks delish.

Marigene said...

Pattie, can't wait to try these delicious looking meatballs...I have never used dried minced onion.

S H Elliott said...

I think hubby will like these. We have been talking about a new meatball recipe. Thanks.