Friday, October 12, 2012

Organic Baby Sweet Potato Biscuits


Today is my two year blog-iversary, pointed out to me by blogging friend, Louise, of the recently ended, much lamented, Months of Edible Celebrations blog. Two years is a LOT of recipes. Not to worry, though, I have enough cookbooks to build a bunker, with the remaining left to shelve and read. But despite this overabundance of cooking tomes, I still find breakfast the most difficult meal of the day. I'm not much for cold cereal (unless it's my homemade granola), or packaged convenience foods (with the occasional exception), and I generally want something warm and soothing. Isn't that the best way to start a day? Soothed?

This morning my eyes fell on this package of baby sweet potatoes. 

Now, what have I told you about packaged foods? Turn them over, there is usually a tasty recipe on the back. 


Sweet potato biscuits were featured on this package and it sounded like a suitable way to begin a chilly morning. Sweet potato biscuits are unique among the usual baking soda or yeast-raised biscuits. They are moist, dense, flavorful, and spicy, and the perfect base for that maple butter that I made last week. 

This recipe is an easy one, employing the use of Bisquick. I'm a spicy person, so added the following spices into the dry ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/8 teaspoon cardamom

I also cut mine cut with a 3" biscuit cutter and baked them about 20-23 minutes. 

Organic Baby Sweet Potato Biscuits
Servings: 6-8

1 pkg. Melissa's Organic Baby Sweet Potatoes
1 cup light brown sugar
1//4 cup water
2-1/4 cups Bisquick

Boil Melissa's Organic Sweet Potatoes until fork tender (this took me about 20 minutes once the water came to a boil).  Cool and peel sweet potatoes; mash with a fork. While potatoes are boiling, mix the dry ingredients together (and additional spices, if desired). Add water and mashed sweet potatoes and mix well. (I used my hands for this.)  Mixture will be more moist than the standard biscuit dough. Flour cutting board. Turn dough onto board, flatten with hands and roll to 3/4" thickness. Cut with a 2-3" round cutter. Place on greased baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 18-23 minutes. Serve hot with sweet butter and honey. 

What a great taste of fall!

This post is linked to:

1 comment:

Winnie said...

I LOVE sweet-potato (much more than potato) and these a great looking biscuits :)