Monday, October 8, 2012

Maple Leaf Cookies


October is my favorite cookie baking month.  It is cool enough to be able to use the oven without sweltering, and it’s far enough away from the holiday season to not be frantic.  I like to bake when I’m relaxed and can actually enjoy the process.  These cookies have become a bit of a fall tradition for me because they are so easy and so much fun to make.  I like to use a shortbread dough, the recipe of which I’ve posted before, it’s Ina’s, and that woman really knows her shortbread!  It is an easy dough to work with, cuts like a dream, and leaves (if you'll pardon the pun) nice edges.

Maple Leaf Cookies

3/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a lightly floured board and divide into 3 sections.  Using Soft Gel Paste Food Color dye each portion of dough to the intensity that you desire. Form each colored piece of dough into a disk.  Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
Remove dough from fridge. Tear each color of dough into four parts and fling them with reckless abandon onto a lightly floured cutting board. 
Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick and cut with a Maple Leaf Cookie Cutter. Gather up the scraps and roll again.  Each time you do this you'll get a new combination of colors.  Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges barely begin to brown. Allow to cool to room temperature.


5 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Happy Birthday Pattie!!!! I'm sorry I missed it yesterday but since I haven't been blogging lately, I haven't been looking at my calendar as often. I hope you had a wonderful birthday!!! Your cookies look so festive. I bet they tasted deeeee....li....ous!!!

Thanks for sharing...

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

Cute cookies! Great idea!

The Tablescaper said...

These look marvelous!

- The Tablescaper

Mary said...

These are beautiful Pattie! I love the idea of fall colored shortbread! Happy Birthday!

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Great looking cookies, and wishing I had one in front of me, but then glad they aren't since I'd have eaten them all. Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!