Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Cherry Almond Haystacks


I have been obsessed, of late, with the cherry and almond combination. There is evidence of this in my Bing Cherry Amaretto Preserves as well as my Cream Scones with Amaretto Cherries. I decided to take this combination one step further and make a luscious chocolaty treat out of it. You're probably all familiar with haystacks. I remember these way back from when I was a kid. They're easy to make, no bake, everyone loves them; you simply can't go wrong with these. But I thought I would make them a little more sophisticated, so I added amaretto-soaked dried cherries and slivered almonds to the mix. These were so good I could have easily inhaled them. In fact, I had to hide them from myself to keep from doing just that.

These are the perfect summer treat because you don't have to heat up the oven to make them, and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.  Here is an adult version of your childhood favorite. 
Cherry Almond Haystacks

2 Tablespoons amaretto

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup chow mein noodles
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Soak cherries in amaretto until plump, about 20 minutes. Drain; set aside.

In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butterscotch chips, at 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until smooth. Stir in chow mein noodles, almonds, and reserved cherries until well coated.

Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a waxed paper or Silpat-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Yield: 8 clusters. Feel free to double, triple, quadruple…you get the picture.


 



5 comments:

Linda said...

What a great idea Pattie! We can eat way too many haystacks and get sick of them, so I never make them anymore. ;) But we will have to try this version!

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

I always leave your site with my mouth watering!!!! These look incredible!

Thelma said...

They look so delicious. I must make them. Thanks for sharing.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I'm for any dessert that I don't have to turn on the oven. These do sound amazing..

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

This sounds so good to me right now....it is the 3 p.m. slump when you want to eat everything in sight! Thanks for the recipe