Sunday, August 13, 2017

Sweet Corn and Cucumber Salad


I love salad in the summer, and I like it to be made with the freshest produce available. I happened to pick up some local cucumbers, and a dozen or so ears of the fresh corn that we have had in abundance this season. So, while spending an entire day prepping vegetables for various dishes I was going to make during the week, I decided to combine some ingredients that aren’t always paired in order to make a delicious, crunchy summer salad. This was the end result, and boy, was it fresh and delicious! Even the onion and basil were homegrown as I grew both in pots on the patio. I made the pesto as well (there is just nothing like homemade!), but if you prefer not to, I highly recommend Melissa's pesto. They have both basil and sun-dried tomato, both equally good.
Sweet Corn and Cucumber Salad

4 cups fresh corn kernels
2 cups diced cucumber
1/2 cup diced
Melissa’s Fire Roasted Sweet Red Bell Peppers
1/4 cup diced red onion
5 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 large basil leaves, minced (more for garnish)
Salt and cracked pepper, to taste

Dressing
3 tablespoons pesto, homemade or purchased
1 tablespoon Dukes mayonnaise
Pinch garlic salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Toss vegetables and basil leaves together in a large mixing bowl, pour the dressing on top, and toss once more. Serve immediately garnish with basil leaves.

This post is linked to:





5 comments:

Linda said...

This is right up my alley! I'd not thought about combining cukes and corn - yum! And that dressing - so simple but sounds so delicious. So you did not cook the corn, right?

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

This sounds great. I am always looking for new salad recipes and it looks like I can have all the ingredients. I have to watch out for certain foods as I am on blood thinners.

Have a great week.

Mary

Alycia Nichols said...

Ramon just brought home fresh cucumbers and corn yesterday! I'm in!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Right, Linda, I did not cook the corn. You could, or even use some leftover, or probably frozen.

Miz Helen said...

This is a great combination for a summer salad, it looks delicious. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and have a fantastic week!
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen