Friday, August 11, 2017

Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho


I LOVE gazpacho, and making it with heirloom tomatoes is an experience all its own. Using different colors of tomatoes for different batches of gazpacho (It is so easy!) yields the most beautiful cold soup you can imagine. It's quite simple to vary a standard recipe to create as many varieties as you have colors of tomatoes. Today, in a matter of minutes, I made three different types of gazpacho, with three different colors of tomatoes. Look how beautiful it is, and the taste is phenomenal, so fresh and so summery. This is what it's all about.

Go crazy with your toppings; you're only limited by your imagination here. When you're considering a variety of garnishes, go not just for varying tastes, but colors and textures as well. I'm hard-pressed to decide my favorite among this bunch; I love them all!

Here are three recipes. I made all three of them in the food processor, and I didn't even rinse between batches. There's no need to because it is basically all the same thing. So whip up as many as you like, and consider serving each one of your guests a different color. How much fun would that be?!
Yellow Heirloom Gazpacho

1 large yellow heirloom tomato
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1/2 teaspoons
Melissa’s chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon capers
1/4 teaspoons salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Put all ingredients into the work bowl of a food processor.
Pulse until blended. Chill for at least an hour before serving. Top with your favorite garnishes.
Green Heirloom Gazpacho

2 large green heirloom tomatoes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon
Melissa’s chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon capers
1/4 of a medium yellow onion
1/4 teaspoons salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

See above for directions.
Red Heirloom Gazpacho

2 large red heirloom tomatoes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon
Melissa’s chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon capers
1/4 of a medium yellow onion
6 fresh basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

See above for directions.  In the photo above I topped this with chopped fresh spinach and crumbled bacon and served it as "BLT Gazpacho."

Suggested garnishes
Cucumber
Jalapeno
Chopped spinach
Crumbled bacon
Sliced hearts of palm
Cilantro
Green or black olives, sliced
Kernels of fresh corn


This post is linked to:

7 comments:

Linda said...

These look beautiful and delicious! Did you eat as soup or dip some chips into them?

Chloe Crabtree said...

Oh my, Pattie, my favorite soup in the whole world! I say I am such a bad vegetable eater, but I would eat this every single day! I am so gad to see three new recipes for it! I have pined this and shared on Facebook! Thank you for sharing at Celebrate Your Story!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Love your presentation in that orange tray! I too love gazpacho and am glad to have these recipes. Capers are new to me in Gazpacho so I'm looking forward to trying it.. have a great weekend

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

I love this soup and could eat bowls of it. thanks so much for the recipe.

Mary

The Cape Coop said...

Ooohhh! Perfect for right now when I am starting to get overrun with tomatoes from the garden! Thanks for sharing on Homestead Blog Hop!

The Lazy Gastronome said...

Beautiful soups - Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner Party!

annies home said...

perfect time for this recipe with all the great produce available here at farmer markets in southern illinois. thanks for sharing
come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com