Tuesday, August 1, 2017

​Pimiento Cheese Egg Salad


When I was growing up, occasionally, my dad would come home for lunch. On the occasions that he did, my mother would remind him that she married him "for better or for worse, but not for lunch!" My mother was not a fan of the midday meal; she always found the cuisine rather limiting. I share her aversion to lunch making. When the time comes, I'm often struggling to put something together that’s satisfying. So, as often as I can, I try to stock the fridge with cold salads that can be easily served on a leaf of lettuce, rolled in a tortilla as a wrap, or on a flaky croissant.

The other day, while hard boiling eggs for  a Cobb Salad, I decided to toss in a few extras in order to make egg salad for lunch one day this week. I was thinking about my favorite luncheon salads -- chicken, egg, shrimp, and pimiento cheese, when the idea struck me to combine two of them, namely egg and pimiento cheese. To me, it seemed like the best of both worlds, and, let's face it, egg salad can get a little boring after a while. I was enormously pleased with the results! There's something about adding delicious, chopped, roasted red bell peppers to egg salad, along with a pinch of cayenne, a bit of grated cheese, and a dash of mustard, that turns it into something special. Give this some consideration the next time you're putting together egg salad for your noonday meal. You will not be disappointed.


Pimiento Cheese Egg Salad
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
4 hard cooked eggs, chopped
½ cup mayonnaise, more or less to taste
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. capers
¼ tsp. salt
Pinch of cayenne


Combine the cheese, eggs, mayonnaise, Dijon, capers, salt, pepper, and roasted bell peppers in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least an hour to meld flavors. Serve as you would any egg salad.


This post is linked to:


7 comments:

Stacey said...

This sounds wonderful! I love pimiento cheese and the addition of eggs and capers is right up my alley! Do you know that my husband works at home and every single day he says, "What's for hot lunch today?" I do not make hot lunches more than two or three times a year so it's a running joke. :)

Linda said...

I discovered eggs in pimento cheese from a lady named Ruth over 30 years ago. I love the flavor they add but rarely take the time to boil the eggs! When I catered, like you I served it on croissants (usually the mini version) and loved the slightly sweet touch they added. But now I'm much more likely to dig Fritos Scoops into my pimento cheese - lol!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I'm not a fan of spicy so would omit some things but combining the egg salad and pimento sounds delish! Thanks!!!

Alycia Nichols said...

Right up my Mom's alley! Forwarding!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

A few simple extra ingredients take this egg salad from ordinary to fabulous.. How delicious this looks

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

I also hate to have to make lunch, so pick at stuff. This sounds really good and I will have to make some. Many thanks for this great recipe.

Mary

Miz Helen said...

I love pimento cheese and egg salad, this will be a great combination! Hope you have a fantastic weekend and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us here at Full Plate Thursday. We hope to see you again real soon.
Miz Helen