Friday, December 3, 2010

Savory Crescent Chicken Squares


It's frantic, shopping-and-lunch filled days like these that make me ever so thankful I had the foresight last fall to make meals ahead and put them into the freezer.  Tonight, after a day of doing my holiday shopping and helping my parents out with theirs, I was so glad to come home to a warm, dry house, and a meal I could just pop into the oven.

This is a relatively easy dish to make and, with the possible exception of the crescent rolls, you probably have everything in your pantry to do so right now. The recipe makes four of these little gems, and if there are just two of you at home, as in my case, then you are in luck, as the two that remain can go into the freezer and will reheat (at 350 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes) to absolute fresh perfection.  The sauce will freeze and re-warm just as well.

This recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, St. Louis Days, St. Louis Nights, that I've mentioned here before (and will undoubtedly mention again and again!).  Here's the annotated recipe. 


If you can't quite make out the sauce, here's the recipe:

1 can cream of celery soup
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon dry sherry

Whisk ingredients together.  Heat over a low flame until steaming.  Spoon generously over the top of the baked squares.

This is linked to Foodie Friday.

 
FOODIE FRIDAY Click for details

4 comments:

bakedinmaine.com said...

This looks like a delicious old-fashioned chicken that my Grandma would make. Comfort food!

Yum!!!

Anonymous said...

Those look really yummy!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

It looks like that cookbook and recipe have been enjoyed many times! I love the notations - that's what I do in my cookbooks also. This does sound delicious and wasy!

Chelle B said...

Thank you so much for linking up with The Culinary Smackdown Battle! Looking forward to tasting and judging! Best of luck!