Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lacquered Short Ribs with Spicy Ginger Sauce

During this very busy time of the year, quick, but delicious, hearty, strengthening meals are a must.  With so many errands to run, gifts to buy, and chores to do I find I rely more on my Crockpot now than during any other season.  So, when disaster struck two weeks ago in our Fibber McGee Closet when the electric skillet plunged to its death, landing on top of the Crockpot, cracking the bowl, I knew I had to do something fast.

Coupon in hand, I was off like a shot to Bed, Bath and Beyond where I purchased a newer model with a timer (Yay!), and made this delicious recipe for tonight.  (I also made Dorie Greenspan's Parisian Mushroom Soup - more about that later.)

I was lucky to have found seriously meaty, dense short ribs.  I bought only 1-1/2 pounds of meat, so halved the recipe (but not the cooking time, and chose the low setting over the high one).  As frequent preparers of ethnic foods I happened to have all of the ingredients in our pantry, but if you don't, this recipe is worth the purchase.  It is a bit spicy, so if a little heat bothers you, consider cutting back on the pepper flakes and Sriracha sauce.  It is tasty and different from any other short rib recipe I've tried.

It goes together in the morning before you head out, and is the perfect meal for a frigid day, warming you both inside and out.

Lacquered Short Ribs with Spicy Ginger Sauce
Cuisine at Home, Slow Cooker Menus

For the short ribs:

3 lbs. short ribs, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 T. olive oil

For the spicy ginger sauce:

1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger root
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 Sriracha sauce
1/4 cup molasses or cane syrup
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Brown ribs in the olive oil over medium-high heat. Work in batches and don't crowd the ribs. Transfer the ribs to your crock pot.

Combine the scallions, ginger root, brown sugar, Sriracha sauce, molasses or syrup, hoisin sauce, lime juice, fennel seed and pepper flakes. Pour the sauce over the ribs. Cover and cook on high for about five hours or low for 8 hours.

Serve over rice or noodles.



No comments: