Sunday, December 5, 2010

Ornamentally, my dear Watson!


That is the answer to the question I posed to myself today when wondering aloud how I was going to decorate the mantle.  It's an annual adventure since I seldom remember what I do from year to year.

I had no clue what I was doing, just started digging around in the basement looking for BIG things to put on it and ended up using the giant ornaments that I ran down the center of the dining room table last year. I like to do something different with table every year, so the ornaments are now classified as free-range decorating items.  I also made a big score at Michael's over the weekend by nabbing a lot of their floral and greenery items at 50% off.  Largely I bought them with package decorating in mind (more about that later in the week), but ended up using about a third of it on the mantle.  I plan on decorating BOLDLY, but sparingly this year; with the house on the market, this is a must.  I don't have time for extensive set-up or tear-down or dusting so many small things, so by using fewer, but larger ones, I'll get a big punch of holiday cheer without having to knock myself out.  Is it possible that I'll enjoy them this year?  Here's hoping!


These big ornaments are from Sam's and were purchased last year by my husband!  I knew what I wanted to use to decorate the dining room table, so just told him to find me some BIG cranberry and gold ornaments.  He did!  I was gobsmacked.  And I liked them!  (Ditto.)  They're actually for outdoor use and are shatterproof, so both pretty and durable.  And who knows, since I do something different every year, one day they may end up outside.
The two large poinsettias were purchased with the intention of using them to decorate large holiday packages, but I really liked the way they looked here.
The small poinsettias, cranberry, and gold berries (also from Michael's and purchased with package-wrapping intent) added some life to the lighted greenery (and yes, it is lighted and was illuminated when this picture was taken).
Apparently I collect brass candlesticks.  I didn't realize it until I counted up nine of them.  Most of them are by Virginia Metalcrafters.  I love them all.
 
 
After decorating the mantle I whipped up a batch of DELICIOUS mocha fudge sauce.  We had it over generous scoops of peppermint ice cream for dessert after dinner (and when I say dinner I mean sloppy joes consumed during the Rams game).  It was so good I could have eaten it as a side dish.  Watch for the recipe later this week.

This is linked to Metamorphosis Monday, Seasonal Sundays and The Holiday Home Linky Party at The Lettered Cottage.

9 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

Those are fantastic, I love the big ornaments, you did a great job!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Your mantle is beautiful. Using the large ornaments is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

I love your mantle. So beautiful.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

we three dogs and me said...

Oh I lovethose big ornaments. I have never seen them. Your arrangement with the cranberry candles is beautiful. Have a very merry Christmas.

The Tablescaper said...

Great job.

Thanks so much for being a part of Seasonal Sundays. Sorry it's taken me so long to get to visit. It's such a busy time of year.

- The Tablescaper

FABBY'S LIVING said...

HOLA! I love your mantel, the big ornaments are great and the color of the candles go very well with the foax flowers.
Come and visit me at my blog, you're very welcome.
Merry Christmas.
FABBY

Lynn said...

Your mantle was beautiful Pattie! I love those big ornaments-Hubby did good:@)

The Lucky Wife @ The Saturday Evening Pot said...

You do such beautiful things with food and in your home! Thank you so much for sharing this on The Christmas Smorgasbord. :)

mjny said...

What a beautiful beautiful mantle!