Monday, December 13, 2010

SURPRISE COOKIES


If this picture doesn't make you want to lick the screen then you don't like chocolate, and to me, nothing says a really good cookie like chocolate. A chocolate cookie with chocolate icing, oh boy, heaven! Toss a marshmallow into the mix and you have bliss. Well, what you actually have is the recipe for Martha Stewart's Surprise Cookies from her book COOKIES, and it's no surprise that they are delicious.




This was an easy and fun cookie to make, destined to become a regular on the holiday cookie tray. The end result was a chewy cookie with an almost cake-like interior. The marshmallow topper was very good, and the frosting deliciously chocolaty. I poured my frosting into an icing bottle and squirted it on in a circular motion which made this a quick and easy way to get the job done. Rich and delicious, one of these makes an excellent dessert.


MARTHA STEWART'S SURPRISE COOKIES
Makes about 2 dozen

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
12 large marshmallows, cut in half horizontally

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.

Using a tablespoon or 1 3/4-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, 10 to 12 minutes.

Remove baking sheets from oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begins to melt, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting over each marshmallow, starting in the center and continuing outward until marshmallow is covered.

FROSTING
Makes 1 cup

2 cups confectioners' sugar
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Place confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in butter and cocoa powder. Add milk and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.

Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share (Martha Stewart Living Magazine)
 

4 comments:

Roberta said...

Okay Martha stole my cookie recipe...lol We've been making these cookies for over 30 years in our family...but we call them "Cuckoo Cookies" and I usually only make them once a year at Christmas becaue they are a little more work with all the steps. I made them in April for my son's birthday and blogged about it here: http://con-tain-it.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/04/yummy-in-my-tummy-cuckoo-cookies.html#tp

I wonder where Martha got her recipe? I got mine from friends when I was in high school so I'm sure the recipe has been around for some time. They are so good ;) Just had to share my story with you. Fondly, Roberta

Anonymous said...

Pattie, these do look amazing!! Look at that frosting, I do want to lick my computer screen, lol! Good idea using the icing bottle. Thank you so much for sharing these delectable cookies with Cookbook Sundays!

Elsa said...

Oh my goodness, this looks amazing. I think I will try this recipe for xmas. It looks delicious.

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

Yum, I would kill for one of those right now!