Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cinnamon-Bun Filled Pancakes




In case you haven't noticed it, there is a little widget in the right-hand column of my blog that features new recipes every day from Williams-Sonoma.  Scroll down and take a look.  Go ahead, I'll wait.  I'd like to encourage you to view them every time that you very kindly visit my blog because these recipes are delicious!  To prove it to you, I made one the other morning with wonderful results. Pictured above are the Cinnamon Bun Ebelskivers that were featured last week.  What is an ebelskiver you say?  It's a light, puffy, filled, Danish pancake easily (and I am talking seriously easy) made with the use of a special pan.  The recipe can be found on their site here but for the sake of convenience, it is included below.
Now, about the pan.  I was lucky enough to get mine on sale at Williams-Sonoma during the holiday season last year.  Let this be a tip for you to keep an eye out for a sale this coming season, or put it on your wish list. You must get one!  It is one heck of a lot of fun to use and is so easy you won't believe it.  I first made them jelly-filled and dusted with powdered sugar.  Have a look here.  I have since filled them with mini chocolate chips, sweetened cream cheese, and lemon curd -- also delicious -- so when I saw this recipe I knew I wanted to give it a try.  In my opinion it is worth buying the pan just to be able to make this recipe. If you become addicted, as I have, you'll be pleased to know that there is also a wonderful book full of loads of recipes for ebelskivers both sweet and savory; I can't wait to dive into this one.  If this whole process seems a bit daunting to you, here's a little tip, just between you and me, make pancake batter as directed on the Bisquik box, pour it into the pan, fill as desired, and they'll still make you appear to be the most accomplished of pastry chefs.  Have fun, experiment, invite ladies for brunch or tea, dazzle the scout troop, buy the pan!  You'll love it, and clean up is a breeze. 

Cinnamon-Bun Filled Pancakes

For the cinnamon filling:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbs. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes,
  at room temperature
For the cream cheese frosting:
3 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 to 4 Tbs. milk
For the pancakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cooking

Directions:
To make the cinnamon filling, in a bowl, still together the granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add the butter and, using the back of a spoon, mash the butter into the flour mixture until all of it is absorbed into the butter, forming a paste. Set the cinnamon filling aside.

To make the cream cheese frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat together the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the confectioners' sugar, reduce the speed to low and beat until combined, 1 to 2 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add 3 Tbs. of the milk and beat until combined, about 1 minute. The frosting should be thick but still pourable; add more milk if needed to thin it. Transfer the frosting to a small bowl; set aside.

To make the pancakes, in a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and granulated sugar. In another bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, then whisk in the milk and the 4 Tbs. melted butter. Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture until well combined; the batter will be lumpy. Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the whites into the batter in two additions.

Put 1/8 tsp. melted butter in each well of a filled-pancake pan. Set over medium heat and heat until the butter begins to bubble. Pour 1 Tbs. batter into each well. Spoon 1/2 tsp. of the cinnamon filling into the center of each pancake and top with 1 Tbs. batter. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes. Using 2 skewers, flip the pancakes over and cook until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes more. Transfer the pancakes to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter and filling.

Drizzle the pancakes with the frosting and serve immediately. Makes 35 to 40.

Williams-Sonoma Kitchen

I couldn't decide how to decorate mine, so tried a variety of designs.
Norpro 3113 Cast-Aluminum Nonstick Aebleskiver Stuffed-Pancake Pan
Click the image above for more info or to buy the pan.  You won't regret it!
Ebelskivers: Danish-Style Filled Pancakes And Other Sweet And Savory Treats
This is the book I have.  It's wonderful.  Click the image for more info.



This post is linked to: 


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my!!!! Delicious!!!! Thanks Patti!

Babs said...

Yum! They look delicious and you did the icing so nicely. I checked out the WS widget and the tomato goat cheese muffins look great too. I really like Williams-Sonoma but don't get to their store very often anymore. I used to go in there on my lunch break when I workd. LOL I spent a lot of money on my lunch break.
Hugs,
Babs

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

These are the cutest things EVER! I'm going to get my ebelskiver pan out tomorrow! :) Thanks for linking up to Homemaker Monday!

So Domesticated said...

Goodness... these look delectable!

our daily dishes said...

those look fantastic!

Alycia Nichols said...

You made them look so tasty that I KNOW they have to BE tasty!!! I honestly had never heard of them before. Shows you just how sheltered my life is!