Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Millie's Meatballs


I have no idea who Millie is, so don't ask me. It could have been the Millie who cut my hair when I was a little girl. It could have been the Millie who taught Sunday School at my church. I also had a great aunt Mildred, so it could have been her, but I don't honestly know. I'm not sure my mother knows, it's been that long ago. 

What I do remember is seeing and smelling delicious meatballs in Mother's most ornate chafing dish, with blue flames curling underneath. They were only made for special occasions and I was only allowed two before the guests arrived. 

When I began cooking on my own, this was the first recipe I requested. Instead of making the tiny 3/4 inch appetizer-size meatballs of my Mother's cocktail parties, I made them about twice that size and served them over extra wide eggs noodles for dinner. Now I can have them any time I want. And I do!

There are so many good things about this recipe. They are easy,  they can be made ahead, they freeze beautifully, they serve the dual purpose of being both appetizer and dinner, and further, made a bit larger are wonderfully tasty mini burgers when sandwiched between two halves of a little bun. Oh, did I mention that kids love them? That they are equally appropriate at cocktail parties as they are at a tailgate party? The perfect food. Thank you, Millie, whoever you are!

Over the course of years I've made some adjustments on this recipe.  You'll find them in parentheses as I wanted to leave the original recipe in tact.

Millie's Meatballs

1 pound ground beef (I use chuck)
1/2 cup crumbs (I use seasoned Italian bread crumbs)
1 egg
2/3 cup milk 
2 T. grated onion (I used dried minced onion)
1 teaspoon salt (I use Kosher)
1/8 teaspoon pepper (I use freshly ground black pepper)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (I use freshly grated nutmeg)

Mix together, form into small balls.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.  Pour a can of gravy* over the top and bake an additional 40 minutes.

*I use Jameson Beef Stock and make the gravy as directed by the instructions on the side of the jar

This post is linked to:












4 comments:

The Fajdich Times said...

Sounds wonderful! I like the addition of the nutmeg:)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Milli's recipe sounds great, I'm ready to copy it, right now...I will mke it tomorrow, I don't know why, but I'm only finding food in these last posts, I'm going to get fat from just wishing them! Thanks for your sweet visit. Hugs, FABBY

~~louise~~ said...

Don't you just love recipes with a namesake? They look delicious Pattie and from the sound of it, it appears you have made those meatballs all your own!

Thanks for sharing...

KB said...

Looks yummy.


We'd love you to share your recipes with us at
Simply Delish Saturday

Have a great weekend.