Thursday, August 25, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom!



This post is less about a tablescape than it is about an item that I had on the table that turned out to be a big hit at my Mother's 80th birthday luncheon.  It's easy to make and, I suspect, fun for all ages. At least a table full of 80-year-old ladies really enjoyed them!

Find a favorite picture of the celebrant, scan it in, and  print it out, actual size, on heavy duty white cardstock.  Cut around the face, including cutting holes for the eyes.  Go to your local paint store and ask for as many paint stirrers as you need (they give these away).  Attach the stirrers to the back of the cut out face with heavy duty glue.  Allow to dry overnight and then place at each setting when preparing for the party. Have them put on their "party face" and take a picture.

Tomorrow I am very pleased and fortunate to be hosting another luncheon for my mother, this time in honor of her 85th birthday. While, unfortunately, the crowd will be a little smaller this year, the table will be lovely and the food delish. I'll be making use of this table setting, and my menu will consist of Mini Crab Cakes on a bed of mixed greens that have been tossed in a light vinaigrette with a remoulade dipping sauce on the side, a crusty roll, and a cup of New England Clam Chowder.  For dessert, since my mother's favorite dessert is pie, I'll be serving Praline Custard Pie.  I wish you could join us.


This post is linked to Tablescape Thursday at 

9 comments:

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

Oh my goodness! How cute are those ladies?? Great party idea!! Happy Birthday to your mother any many more!

Vanessa Coppa said...

What a clever idea! Love it!

Marigene said...

Happy 85th Birthday to your lovely mother! Cute idea with the party faces...

Curtains in My Tree said...

I love the party masks

Happy Birthday to your Mother

she was a looker back in her day

janice

~~louise~~ said...

Oh that is just priceless Pattie. What a terrific idea. I had to show it to Marion (she's 91:) and she chuckled the entire time we read the post together.

Thank you so much for sharing. Both Marion and I wishing your Mom a Happy Healthy Birthday!!!

Alycia Nichols said...

Hey, Pattie! Is your Mom actually anywhere in that picture above? It's hard to tell! :-) Great idea for the face fans. Leave it to an avid photographer to come up with that one! :-) I took a look at the lobster tablescape you're going to use for her 85th, and the ladies are going to LOVE IT!!! That is so cool!!! The fabric is fantastic! Amazing what you can buy on Amazon, isn't it? Actually I was recently looking for a nice-looking faux lobster. I remember seeing some cool faux shrimp a couple of years ago and could kick myself for not buying it. That stuff is fun! The whole table looks great, and I wish your Mom the best as she celebrates #85! Have a joyous weekend!

Janet Rudolph said...

this is just fabulous, Pattie! How clever you are.

Slice of Pie said...

Thanks for visiting my site ... you should visit the DuQuoin State Fair again! This post is fantastic ... and I checked out your beautiful Victorian home post, too ... What a glorious home. Thanks for sharing.

Gone-ta-pott said...

My gosh I love it I love it! Louise told me about your blog and I'm so glad I came to visit. :)