Sunday, April 2, 2017

Beer Pimiento Cheese Soup


It's “Sip Some Soup Sunday,” and have I got a soup for you! No matter the season, soup is always a nice meal, or nice accompaniment to a meal. This soup is one of my new favorites -- no surprise here because it's a pimiento cheese variety. You all know my love for pimiento cheese, so I was very excited to try this recipe from the No Spoon Needed blog. What makes it extra good is the inclusion of beer. Keep in mind, as always, the better your ingredients, the better your finished product. I have been using Corner Kick Coffee Stout from local brewery, Six Mile Bridge, located in a suburb of St. Louis, MO called Maryland Heights. I'm not a beer drinker, but love it for cooking because of the richness, the depth of taste, and complex flavor. It does amazing things to this soup! If you're not a local, be sure you get a nice, rich stout if you plan to try this recipe.

Earlier in the week when I made
Red Pepper and Herb Spread, I told you that it could be used in a variety of ways. In my last post I showed it to you as a component in a Veggie Sandwich. Today I'm telling you that it makes a superb topper for this soup. The flavors, the richness, the herbs, all melted into the soup enhance it, making it out of this world! Make the spread, make the soup, and you will delight anyone who consumes it, even if it's only you.
Beer Pimiento Cheese Soup
Slighted adapted from No Spoon Needed

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups homemade chicken stock
12 oz. Corner Kick Coffee Stout (or your favorite stout or dark ale)
1- 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
1 whole pepper from a 7 oz. jar of
Melissa’s Fire Roasted Sweet Red Bell Peppers, finely diced
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large stock pot melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion, and salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until well combined, about 2 minutes.

Slowly stir in the stock and stout. Increase heat to medium-high, and, whisking constantly, bring to a rapid simmer. Cook until thickened, about eight minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the cream, Dijon, Worcestershire, and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer, and then reduce heat to medium low. Cook, whisking occasionally, until creamy, about five minutes.

Stir in the cheeses, a cup at a time, whisking after each addition. Continue whisking until smooth. Stir in the chopped red peppers, taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.


This post is linked to:

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You had me at pimiento cheese Pattie! When I clicked on your photo at Julie's lifestyle party I should have known it would take me to your blog! I always love your recipes, and this is another one to pin! Sounds divine!

Linda said...

Love the cheeses you used! I'm going to keep your tip in mind about using a good beer.

Unknown said...

Pinned! This sounds yummy! :)

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

yumm, a creamy cheese soup. You have the best recipes. Thanks for sharing at DI&DI.

Chloe Crabtree said...

Sounds scrumptious! Thanks for sharing at Celebrate Your Story!