Sunday, April 23, 2017

Indian Shrimp Curry

You may (or may not, I won't judge) remember my telling you in this post that I had bought a lot of shrimp. Last night, finally feeling up to making a meal (as opposed to thawing one), I tried this recipe. Someone had given it to me years ago, so I don't know the source, but I will say that it is both easy and delicious. Because I am still so blasted tired from my battle with the flu, I measured out my ingredients, cleaned the shrimp, and did all of the prep work at various intervals throughout the day, so when it was time for dinner, everything was ready and came together in no time. It is so quick and easy to prepare that I started it when "Big Bang Theory" came on TV, and sat down to dine before the credits ran. I'll be making this again.

Indian Shrimp Curry


2 tablespoons peanut oil
1/2 sweet onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 (14.5 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
 1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro 

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; saute onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and allow it to cool slightly, about 2 minutes. Return to low heat and add garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, paprika, and chili powder to the onion; stir to combine. Pour the tomatoes and coconut milk into the skillet; season with salt.

Cook the mixture at a simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in shrimp, fresh cilantro, and dried cilantro; cook another 1 minute before serving.

This post is linked to:

3 comments:

Jay said...

I have been craving shrimp lately! I would love you to share this at Smell Good Sunday http://jaytriedandtrue.blogspot.com/2017/04/smell-good-sunday-17.html

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Sounds so good! We love anything curry here and of course the shrimp isn't bad either!

The Lazy Gastronome said...

Oh how delicious looking!! Sorry it took so long to visit - I've been off on vacation!