Saturday, April 1, 2017

How to Make a Delicious Veggie Sandwich

My mother had a lot of pithy sayings when I was growing up. One of them that I distinctly remember was, "For better, or for worse, but not for lunch!" Occasionally, my dad would come home for lunch during the workweek, much to my mother's dismay. She always said that she didn't mind making breakfast, and she didn't mind making dinner, but she hated making lunch. Lunch, she said, was always a difficult meal to come up with. She wasn't wrong. I don't particularly like making lunch either. Generally, soup, a small salad, or a sandwich makes a nice lunch, but which ones do you choose?

I like a good sandwich, and the late Mr. O-P was an excellent sandwich maker. I have been trying to make sandwiches as good as his since he passed away, and I’m seldom able do it.

The most difficult thing about making a sandwich is coming up with an idea. Once I had that idea in my head, I set to work, the sandwich was made, and boy, was it delicious!
I decided to make a vegetable sandwich, so raided the vegetable bin. As you know from my earlier post, I had prepared a red pepper and herb spread (that is absolutely yummy). Using that as a base on one giant slice of Italian bread that I got at Aldi. (Isn't this gorgeous? One slice, halved, makes a huge sandwich.) I got out my Griddler, and placed slices of zucchini and onion on top while I sliced a bit of cheese and cleaned some lettuce. Once these were suitably grilled, I added a few slice of avocado to the mix and I had one heck of a sandwich. This sandwich was a big meal, but it was delicious, unique, and intensely flavorful, not to mention reasonably healthy and Lenten suitable.
Let this post be your guide to creating an interesting sandwich for you and your family. 
Consider making this for dinner and serving it with a nice cup of tomato bisque. Doesn't that sound good?


This post is linked to:


This post contains affiliate  links.


3 comments:

Chloe Crabtree said...

Oh good for you, eating your veggies! I hate to admit, I am not a good veggie eater, but I will put tomatoes (I know, not a REAL vegetable) and onions on anything! Thanks for always stopping by and sharing at Celebrate Your Story!

Miz Helen said...

I just love a Veggie Sandwich! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a fantastic weekend and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Your veggie sandwich looks so good and healthy. Thanks for sharing at C&C with J&J.