Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak

Last week I was hit with the flu, and when I say hit, I mean like a hammer. Wow! Apparently, my darling little grandchildren were the carriers of this vile bug.  They gave it to me and their mother (fortunately my son was spared), as well as succumbing themselves, when we all got together here (and had a marvelous time, I might add) for breakfast on Palm Sunday. I’d set a darling little table with them in mind, that I’d hoped to share with you in detail, but, well, the moment has passed. I’m glad that was such a good day, because two days later there were no good days for any of us.

Because I felt so low, naturally, I did not feel at all like cooking, so was grateful to have filled up the freezer with single serving containers of soups and casseroles earlier in the year.

It’s very important to eat and stay hydrated while fighting an ailment. The first couple of days I lived on Chicken Noodle Soup. I’d like to say that it tasted as delicious frozen as it had when fresh, but I really couldn’t taste anything, so I am no judge. I will say that it was warm and soothing.

I also came up with a nutritious, throat-cooling, flu-fighting smoothie that was fabulous! The recipe is coming, but meanwhile, pack your freezer with banana chunks, strawberries, and pieces of mango. You’ll thank me later.

One thing that turned out to be a big hit with both me and dad was this easy-to-assemble, slow cooker version of Salisbury Steak. There is no greater need for comfort than when struck down by the flu.
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
 Adapted from Spend With Pennies

6 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
1 medium yellow onion, sliced

Sauce ingredients:
1-14.5 ounce can low-sodium beef broth
1 1-ounce package brown gravy mix
2 tablespoons catsup
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped

Beef patties:
1-1/2 pounds ground chuck
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup dried minced onion
1/3 cup Panko crumbs
3 tablespoons whole milk
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning


2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 tablespoons water

Spray slow cooker with Pam; line bottom with mushrooms and onions.

Combine beef patty ingredients and form into six patties. Place 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil into a 10" skillet and heat until oil starts to shimmer. Brown patties over medium-high heat about three minutes per side. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and allow draining for a moment or two. Place the beef patties on top of the mushrooms and onions in the slow cooker. Combine sauce ingredients, and pour over
beef patties. Cook on the low setting for 5 hours.

Remove patties to a warm plate; set aside. Turn slow cooker to high, combine cold water and cornstarch, and stir into the sauce. Allow to cook a few minutes until thickened, and then return beef patties to the sauce. Let heat through, about 5 to 10 additional minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes or alongside rice.


This post is linked to:


9 comments:

Linda said...

Glad you're feeling better Pattie! I am rarely sick, but last summer when we stayed with our son between the time we sold our house and moved to the new one, I caught some kind of bug that our 18 year-old grandson had. Seems that germs and kids are a lethal combo!

Your recipe looks delicious. I am making your split pea soup for the 3rd or 4th time today - with ham hocks instead of a Christmas ham bone. ;)

Marigene said...

Hope you are feeling much better, Pattie. Salisbury steak sounds so yummy, right now.
Have a great week.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Well I'm really sorry you all got sick, Pattie, but I'm sure glad you shared this recipe! I adore Salisbury Steak with mashed potatoes and gravy, true comfort food for sure! Feel better soon xo

Stacey said...

That flu does not sound like fun! Glad you all are doing better. Several people in our family had it this winter...well in fact my father in law ended up in the hospital for a few days. It's dangerous business!

Now about that recipe. This meal looks to be satisfying in every way! Pinning.

Laineshots said...

Glad you're feeling better, finally! I for one would still love to know the details of your Palm Sunday children's table. My grands are here most Sundays for dinner, and I welcome fun ideas. The Salisbury Steak recipe is irresistible!

Southerncook said...

I too often pick up "stuff" from my grands. Hope you are now on the mend. I really like this recipe you posted, could not be easier and sounds so tasty. I love using my crock pot when the weather warms so I will try this soon. Our weather has definitely warmed in N FL. Pared with some mashed potatoes my husband (meat and potatoes guy only) will be delighted. Thank you for sharing.

Carolyn/A Southerner's Notebook

Stephanie said...

Hi Pattie! I wanted to thank you for the lovely visit to my blog. Your comments was such a blessing to read :)

I trust you are feeling much better now....the flu is certainly NO FUN! Take care and have a lovely weekend!

Hugs to you! Stephanie-The Enchanting Rose

The Stonybrook House said...

Hopefully you are feeling better! You are so right, it's great to have dishes in the freezer you can pull from in a pinch! This looks delish! Thank you for sharing at Dishing It & Digging It!

The Lazy Gastronome said...

That looks so good and sounds so easy! Sorry it took so long to visit - I've been off on vacation!