Thursday, April 27, 2017

Mr. McGregor's Garden Tablescape


For someone who has never claimed to have much by way of Easter decor, this past month I ended up setting three different Easter tables. 
The last one I set, and had planned to use Easter Sunday, remained unfinished because that was when I was stricken with the flu.
As I was taking it down, I decided that I really didn't want to. The bunny plates were new this year, and I wanted to use them. 
Why, I asked myself, are bunny plates only appropriate at Easter? Why can't they be appropriate in spring and summer? Aren’t those bunnies usually around, chewing their way through my hostas during these two seasons?
So, I took all of the Easter items off of the table, and started anew, with the bunny plates as a focus.
I gathered up some of my favorite things, and adorned my little three-tier wooden tray (That I have had for about 30 years, long before the three-tier trays were popular.), tucking them here and there among greenery and grapes, and set the table with vibrant turquoise and greens.
As I sat there and looked at it, the whimsical little bunny face (You just know this little guy is up to something, as bunnies tend to be.) reminded me of Peter Rabbit in Mr. McGregor's garden. So I decided to call this Mr. McGregor's Garden Tablescape. It suits, I think.
Because I had pretty dinner plates, I didn't want to do any plate layering.
But, because I do like layering in a table setting, I decided that instead of layering plates, I would layer placements.
The placemats are from Pier 1 as are the rustic whitewashed chargers.
Keep this in mind should you have pretty plates that you don't want to cover up. Table settings can look just as beautiful with layered placemats as they can with layered plates.
I decided to use my new little corn cups. I have gone crazy over the majolica corn dishes!
The leaf tray, on which the sugar and cream sit, is the same one that served as the base for the little bunny sauce dish that I used here. Looking at the colors, the bamboo-handled flatware, and the corn dishes made me think of summer. I hope this table gives you a smile, and makes you think of summer as well.

This post is linked to:

15 comments:

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Love the bunny plates. Your tablescape is beautiful and I really like it.

Have a great weekend and I hope your feeling much better.

Mary

Sarah said...

Hope you are feeling better. I'd say this darling tale is sure to make anyone feel better!
The bunny plates are adorable, and I like the layering of textures beneath. Great job! Your tiered tray is a great piece. The size is perfect for a table centerpiece. Happy Spring!

candlelightsupper said...

Your tablescape is adorable! The little bunny peering over really reminds me of Peter Rabbit. Love your accessories the corn motif and the 3-tiered tray. What a fun happy table. Of course I think rabbits can be used anytime of year. We see them hopping about all year long where I live. I think Peter has paid a visit to my garden summer and fall. Munching our planted cabbage!

Kitchen Monkey said...

Where did you find the white charger plates under the Bunny plates? This table scape is adorable!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Very pretty table - love the bunny plates

Darlene Gardner said...

Love this table and you are absolutely right - bunnies don't go away just because Easter ends. Love the corn cups too!

Unknown said...

I think bunnies are appropriate any time of year! They are in our yards in every season, right? Mine, at least. I love your plates...envious and salivating even! I know it's sinful to envy, but it should be a compliment to the envy-ee, right? Your corn cob accessories are wonderful, perfect for a bunny feast. :-)

Marigene said...

Those bunny plates are adorable! I agree, bunnies should be around all spring and summer. I ♥ all the corn dishes...makes me wish I had kept mine. The goblets are a beautiful shade of aqua.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Kitchen Monkey, the white charger plates are from Pier One. They are a part of their regular stock, so wait for a sale!

Unknown said...

bunnies are welcome any time Pattie and yours are adorable! Love the summer touches you added to take them out of the Easter mode, and love the aquas and greens~

Ann @ Corner of Plaid and Paisley said...

I am glad you did your layering under those adorable plates!!! I think its great that you used them with a different theme than Easter. Loving those corn dishes, strong case for dish envy!! Cute Table!

Lulu said...

I am such a Beatrix Potter fan so I like that your table was inspired by Peter Rabbit. As for your plates, use them whenever the mood strikes you. They are mighty cute!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love this! I agree...I started putting my bunnies away after Easter and then realized that this is their season to thrive too, so I left some out. Your bunny plates are so cute and I love the turquoise accents.

GranthamLynn said...

I've missed coming by. I am sorry I missed this wonderful post. I love your tablescape. I featured it on my Happy Homemaker Monday favorite post for this week. I hope you'll come back to the Fabulous Party at Our Holiday Journey!
For May it's anything goes. You can link any Post(s) you want!
Come over and join the party!
Oh I loved the soup post too!
Have a good week.

Home on the Corner said...

I love those bunny plates! So cute and perfect for a springtime table!