Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Visions of Sugarplums Children's Table



Sometimes kids get too old, and by old, I'm talking 8, to think they belong at the “kid's table.” Sometimes my rugs disagree. So, if you want to entice kids to a specific table in your house, I have devised the perfect plan: dazzle them with your centerpiece!
I held my annual Boxing Day dinner on a soggy Saturday and fixed my traditional roast beef dinner. It is something that everyone, including me, looks forward to. It's a wonderfully mixed crowd of young and old, all excitedly talking about their holiday gifts, and ready to relax and enjoy a nice meal.
Few kids (and adults, as it turned out) can resist the sparkle of fairly lights from the tree reflected on glass apothecary jars filled with candy. This centerpiece with an ice skating Santa that used to be a part of my mother's collection attracted kids like a magnet. Their eyes were like saucers as they stared at the contents of each jar, knowing that at evening's end, they'd be filling a bag with as much as they could to take home with them.
Equally enticing were the napkins folded into trees that I first showed you here. I was honestly surprised at how many comments I received on these from young and old, male and female, alike. Everyone seemed quite captivated by these.
The green transferware dishes are something I use solely at Christmas. The pattern is called Old Curiosity Shop and it’s made by Royal China. It strikes me as a pattern that is more Christmassy than almost any other because it reminds me so strongly of Dickens.
This post is linked to:

10 comments:

Linda said...

Your posts always leave me wanting more photos! It all looks so fun and (I don't use this word often) festive! Especially love the skating Santa.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

As gloomy as the weather has been I was lucky to get these. I took about 20, but these are the only ones that were usable and even they aren't great. I have another table set up downstairs and am still waiting for enough light to photograph it. Glad you liked it!

R's Rue said...

Looks good!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Beautiful, just beautiful!

S H Elliott said...

I would be glad to sit at your kids table! Looks like fun to me. Happy New Year! Sheila

Marigene said...

Another that would be happy to sit at the kids table! Beautiful table, Pattie. The Christmas tree fold is one of my favorites...and looks so nice on those plates.
Happy New Year!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Pattie, your sugarplum table is so fun! Lucky kids to be a part of the festivities. Santa is quite cute in his skates. I used to have that Victorian image as my desktop picture, love it!
Gina

Carole West said...

This looks so cute and I love your tree shaped napkins - how ever did you do that?

Carole @ Garden Up Green

Lulu said...

With all its color, this table is nothing but fun!

My Cozy Corner said...

Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop