Monday, December 14, 2015

Chocolate Drops



The holiday cookie baking has begun in earnest around here, and my goal this year (as in those of recent past) is to make delicious cookies with as little effort and mess as possible.  These cookies fit that description perfectly. They go way back to when I was in high school. (The recipe is so old, in fact, that it originally called for a 15-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, and, honestly, even I don’t remember those.)

This recipe was given to my mother by a friend of hers and is always a crowd pleaser. The cookies are crispy on the outside, dense, chewy, and very chocolaty on the inside, and require no big bowl and mixer, just a saucepan and a wooden spoon. They’re called “drops” because, as you can see, they are supposed to be dropped by the teaspoonful, but I use a cookie scoop to get them onto the baking sheet and done in no time. Because I make mine larger than the recipe calls for, I tend to bake them for twice as long, i.e. 14 minutes.

Chocolate Drops

1 12-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350
ºF. In a heavy medium saucepan melt together chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and butter. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, flour, and pecans. Drop by teaspoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 7 minutes.

This post is linked to:


5 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Really delicious-sounding cookies!

Michele said...

These look and sound amazing! :-o Pinning! Cookie-making is in full swing around here as well. Love this time of the year. ;)

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

Des biscuits qui me tentent vraiment !! Merci pour la recette... Je vais me régaler tout comme je le fais en admirant la photo !

Je vous souhaite de joyeuses fêtes de fin d'année.

Gros bisous ♡

S H Elliott said...

Ok, these are on my to do list! Picking up the ingredients next time I am at the grocery store! Yum! sheila

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

I have a cookie recipe on my blog that looks a lot like these, but the prep is different. I love that these are so easy to make and don't result in a dozen pans needing to be cleaned. Plus, they're chocolate, so what more can you want?!

Hope you had a good holiday!