Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Butter Pecan Turtle Cookies



I owe my thanks for this recipe to Janet Rudolph who, on her wonderful Dying for Chocolate blog, frequently features retro ads and recipes. This is actually a recipe that I had when it was new and I was first setting up housekeeping after graduating from college. I made these cookies a lot because they were so easy and really delicious. Over the years, though, with various moves and husbands, I lost it. When she featured this recipe last week I was elated, and immediately had to try them to see if they were still as good as I remembered. They were! In fact, after I made a rather putrid dinner (If you see an online recipe for Crockpot Cashew Chicken that claims to be “better than takeout,” RUN from it. Trust me.), I was grateful to be able to redeem myself with this dessert. I updated it to include more pecans, more chocolate chips, and found the crust came out far better when using a food processor.
Butter Pecan Turtle Cookies

Crust 
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Land O Lakes Sweet Cream Butter, softened

Caramel Layer
2/3 cups Land O Lakes Sweet Cream Butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1-1/2 cup whole pecan halves (not chopped)
1-1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Directions 
Preheat oven to 350
°F. Line a 9” x 13” pan with foil, allowing about two inches to drape over either end. This will facilitate easy removal of the cookie slab for even cutting.

Combine crust ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor and pulse until well mixed and particles are fine. Pat firmly into ungreased 9” x 13” pan. Sprinkle pecans evenly over unbaked crust.

Prepare caramel layer
In a heavy 1-quart saucepan combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until entire surface of mixture begins to boil. Boil 1/2 to 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour Caramel Layer evenly over pecans and crust.
Bake near center of oven for 18-22 minutes, or until entire caramel layer is bubbly and crust is light golden brown.

Remove from oven. Immediately sprinkle with chips. Allow chips to melt slightly (2-3 minutes). Slightly swirl chips as they melt; leave some whole for a marbled effect. Do not spread chips.

Cool completely; cut into 3-4 dozen bars. (This rather makes me laugh. I guess I cut mine extra large because we only got about 2 dozen.)

This post is linked to:

6 comments:

Linda said...

These look fantastic! The crust reminds me of my toffee bar recipe.

Mae Travels said...

My sister had made these when we visited her this weekend, but she gave us so many fantastic options that I never got around to eating one. My loss for sure! I wish I had one of yours now that I'm home and don't have a wide selection.

I like your remark about "various moves and husbands" -- you sound so casual about them. wow!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

This looks great and I am going to make some. thanks for the recipe.
Mary

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This crust is delicious and when made in the food processor, incredibly easy. I think it is going to be my "go to" crust for every cookie that requires a base.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

It's good to know that someone actually reads the text, Mae! I've been married twice. The first time for 15 years, and my current marriage is in its 21st year, so I'm not crazy. At least not noticeably so.

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week! Hope you have a great holiday and enjoy your New Red Plate.
Miz Helen