Saturday, December 3, 2016

Heavenly Slow Cooker Chicken


This year, in an effort to get my decorations up early, I pretty much put everything else on the back burner (if you'll pardon the culinary pun), and that includes cooking. So, these days when I make a meal, it has to be quick, easy, and crockpot friendly. This recipe is based upon one I had in the seventies called Angel Chicken. I decided to make it early one morning before I dug into the Christmas decorations, but had failed to thaw chicken overnight in the fridge. What the heck, I thought, as I tossed two rock hard chicken breasts into the slow cooker, stirred together the few other ingredients, and poured them on top.

As the day went on and my weariness increased, the faint aroma of beautifully spiced chicken filled the house. I was so tired that the thought of making something simple like rice or noodles to use as the base for the chicken seemed daunting. So, I went to the freezer and grabbed a bag of Cipolline onions that I had previously blanched, peeled, and frozen, cleaned a handful of large button mushrooms, and quartered them, scrubbed six Ruby Gold Potatoes, halved them, and tossed everything into the pot on top of the simmering chicken. A one-pot meal was certainly in order for the day.

As I spooned everything into a bowl that evening curled up on the couch with my cozy afghan and a fire in the fireplace, I dug in. That's when I decided that this new dish should be called Heavenly Slow Cooker Chicken because the flavor was absolute heaven. The chicken was perfectly tender and beautifully seasoned, thanks to the packet of Italian dressing mix. The onions were nicely done as were the mushrooms, the potatoes were like butter. It was the best meal I had had in a long time, and took virtually no effort.

This is a must have for you during this busy holiday season. And it's so good, that I really feel it's company worthy. Maybe not for your elegant dinner parties, but certainly for a Christmas tree decorating party, a cookie making party, movie night, football afternoon, or any gathering where good friends and family get together. You have to try this.
 
Heavenly Slow Cooker Chicken

1-1/2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts (about 3)
1 envelope Italian dressing mix
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 8-oz. carton cream cheese with chives and onions
can condensed mushroom soup
6 peeled Melissa’s Cipolline onions (or 1 medium yellow onion, quartered)
6 large button mushrooms, quartered
6 Melissa's Ruby Gold Potatoes, scrubbed and halved
Place chicken in slow cooker. Combine dressing mix, butter, cream cheese, and soup, and pour on top of chicken. Cook on low for 7 hours. Add onions,  mushrooms, and potatoes, and cook for an additional 45 minutes to an hour.
This post is linked to:

3 comments:

Linda said...

Omg Pattie this looks mouth-watering! I like the addition of "taters" instead of pasta.

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Pattie, oh Pattie boy does that look good!

Miz Helen said...

This looks like a very comforting dish of goodness! Thanks for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back soon!
Miz Helen