Sunday, December 18, 2016

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Soup


I don't know what it's like where you are, but here in the Mississippi Valley it is cold. When I woke up this morning it was 2°, the windows were frosty, and there was nothing I wanted more than to have a nice pot of soup simmering away in the Crockpot. I grabbed my recipe for beef stroganoff, deciding to adapt it for slow cooking so that it could cook all day long while I began frantically to clean, wrap gifts, finish writing cards, and otherwise involve myself in anxiety-inducing holiday preparations.

This is a stick-to-your-ribs, hardy, one-dish-meal bowl of soup. It works very well in the slow cooker, but can also be made on top of the stove, simmering until the beef is tender. It only gets better with age, so if you're looking for a make-ahead meal, this could be it. Make it either on the stove top or in the slow cooker, and then put it in an airtight container in the refrigerator where it will keep for 2 to 3 days easily, so you'll have it on hand whenever you need it. With all of the last-minute hustle and bustle, there's nothing I like better than having something in the fridge that can be warmed, enjoyed, and is oh, so satisfying.
  Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Soup

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1-pound beef sirloin, trimmed, sliced diagonally into strips
1 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
8 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
1 8-oz. pkg. Melissa's White Pearl Onions, blanched and peeled
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
5 cups beef stock
2 handfuls dried wide egg noodles
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Dried dill
 
In a 10” skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Place meat in a bowl, toss with steak seasoning until well coated. Empty bowl into skillet and stir fry until browned. Place meat in the bottom of your slow cooker. Top meat with mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Stir together tomato paste, Worcestershire, and beef stock. Pour over beef and vegetables. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. During the last half hour, add the noodles and parsley. In a small bowl whisk together the sour cream and flour. Whisk in 1 cup of the hot soup; pour mixture back into the pot. Cook for 10-15 minutes more.
Serve in pasta bowls and sprinkle with dill.

This post is linked to:

8 comments:

Linda said...

Saving this - it looks fantastic!

Deborah Lacy said...

This looks so delicious!

Sweet Tea N ' Salty Air said...

Hi there nice to meet you......I am so going to make this for tomorrow, I have all the ingredients and it will be easy to do in the crock pot while I venture to finish my shopping! And so yummy for my family Thanks for sharing Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air

The Stonybrook House said...

Oh My! This looks and sounds soooo good! Pinning for later! Thanks for sharing at Dishing It & Digging It! :)

3 Winks Design said...

I wish I had meat defrosted so that I could make this right now. It isn't even cold here, but I still want it.

Unknown said...

This sounds so tasty! :) PINNED!

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Miz Helen said...

We will love your Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Soup, it looks delicious. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with us at Full Plate Thursday! Hope you are having a wonderful week and hope to see you soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

I love beef stroganoff and this recipe looks amazing! Pinning for later!