Friday, December 23, 2016

Chocolate Shortbread


If I've said it once I've said it at least a dozen times, I am not a baker. I do it, but I don't particularly like it. That said, I do have the most wonderful recipe for chocolate shortbread cookies. It wouldn't be the holiday season without a warming cup of tea (Hot Cinnamon Spice by Harney & Sons is my new favorite), and a delicious cookie to sink my teeth into.
I didn't get a chance to make cookies around Halloween, so figured why not use my new owl cookie-cutter and make chocolate shortbread cookies to go with my mug of tea? My own personal Happy "Owl-idays." :-)
What I like about this dough is that it is easy to make, tastes delicious, and rolls out like a dream. In addition to making the cutout cookies with the owl cookie cutter, I also decided to give my late husband's springerle rolling pin a try, and much to my surprise, it worked! I couldn't believe how well this worked out, and how quick it was to make lots of cookies.
Chocolate Shortbread

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°F.

  Combine butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add flour, cocoa, and cinnamon; beat at low speed until well mixed.

Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, one-half at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with the cookie cutters of your choice. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet. Remove to a wire rack to ool completely.
This post is linked to:

4 comments:

Linda said...

I don't think I've seen a chocolate shortbread recipe! They look so good. Are they crisp or a little chewy? Love the owl cup and cutter. It's about this time every year that I want to make every cookie recipe I see!
You could have fooled me about being a baker. ;)

The Stonybrook House said...

I've never heard of a chocolate shortbread... why? It look and sounds perfect!! Those owls are too cute. Thank you for sharing this at Dishing It & Digging It! I look forward to seeing more of your creativity this year. :)

The Lazy Gastronome said...

I love shortbread - add chocolate and it's a super treat! Thanks for sharing on the What's for Dinner Link up!

Unknown said...

I so pinned this!!

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!