Saturday, December 24, 2016

Slow Cooker Loaded Chicken Bacon Potato Soup


In case you all haven't noticed, I've started a new trend (my own personal trend, but I hope it catches on), in my weekly "Sip Some Soup Sunday." Every Sunday I post a new recipe for a seasonal soup. Because tomorrow is Christmas Day, I decided to post a soup recipe one day early. This is yet another one of those recipes that I was curious enough to try, but surprised at how good it was. You're probably asking yourself why I would bother to try a recipe that I didn't think was going to be particularly good. The answer to that is simple: ease!

Now don't get me wrong, this soup sounded really good to me, but it didn't sound nearly as good as it turned out to be. Yet again, this is a soup that only gets better in the fridge, so it can be made 1 to 2 days ahead of time, and still be thoroughly enjoyed. It's a chilly night, and, having had a lovely Christmas Eve lunch with my dad and number two son, I'm all snuggled in for the evening with a fire in the fireplace, cocoa in my cup, and Christmas movies on the TV. Happy Christmas Eve to all of you whatever you're doing.
Slow Cooker Loaded Chicken Bacon Potato Soup
Adapted from The Magical Slow Cooker

1- 1.5 lbs. boneless chicken breasts or thighs
½ of a 3-lb. package Melissa’s Baby Ruby Gold Potatoes
scrubbed and halved
1 cup diced white onion
6 slices cooked bacon, rough chopped
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
12 ounces cream cheese

Place the chicken, potatoes, onion, bacon, salt, pepper, garlic, and stock into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Remove the chicken to a plate, and dice or shred; set aside. 

Add a few ladles of the broth and potatoes to a blender or food processor (or just pull out some of the solids, and use an immersion blender directly in the slow cooker); add the cream cheese, and blend all until smooth. Return this mixture to the slow cooker with the rest of the soup, add the chicken and stir. 

Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese, additional bacon, sliced green onion, avocado chunks, salsa, or cilantro.
This post is linked to:

2 comments:

Linda said...

I love your new trend!
I've never added chicken to potato soup, but this recipe looks so very good!

sandy said...

this looks delicious!