Thursday, March 7, 2024

Murphy’s in a Clogher Valley Mist

 
It has been 10 years (!!) since I first posted this recipe. My guess is that a lot of you haven’t seen it, so I think it’s time, here on Throwback Thursday, to post it again. It’s tasty, seasonal, and the name is unbeatable as far as recipe names go. You must serve this at your St. Patrick’s Day dinner. You must!

 Murphy’s in a Clogher Valley Mist

Named for the Dungannon Valley where Grange Lodge, a small Georgian country house, is situated.  This recipe is from proprietor Norah Brown.

 1-1/2 pounds boiling potatoes, unpeeled (I used Melissa’s Baby Ruby Gold)

2 T.unsalted butter, melted and cooled

4 slices bacon

½ c. heavy cream

1 c. (4 oz.) Smoked Gouda, shredded

Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

 Preheat the oven to 400°F.  Butter a 1-1/2 qt. baking pan. (This green one would be perfect.)

 Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water for 15 to 18 minutes, or until tender.  Drain and let cool to the touch.  Cut each potato into four wedges.  Place the wedges, skin side down, into the prepared baking pan and toss with the butter.

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp.  Using a slotted metal spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain.

 Pour the cream over the potatoes, sprinkle with the grated cheese, and crumble the bacon over all.  Season with salt and pepper, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cream has thickened and the cheese has melted.

 Serves 4.

  This recipe is from The New Irish Table by Irish-American culinary journalist Margaret M. Johnson. Delish!

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

7 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Sinful! WOW! Hubby will love this and truthfully, so will I.

Gina said...

This looks so good. I almost never buy bacon or cream any more but I might have to make an exception. And I love gouda!

The Tote Trove said...

This looks and sounds simply heavenly!🥓🥔🧀

Linda said...

Goodness this looks yummy, and the name alone makes me want to eat it!

thepaintedapron.com said...

This sounds like heaven to me! Thanks Pattie!
Jenna

Lana said...

A birthday tradition at our house for my Hubby for forty years or more! Of course it has a steak alongside.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

No, Lana! Really? Very cool, if so. I like the way you think.