Friday, March 15, 2024

TikTok Chicken Cobbler

 
I’m not sure if it’s because I wasn’t expecting much that I liked this as well as I did, or if it’s just darned tasty. This is a recipe that I found on TikTok. As I pointed out last week with my refrigerator drawer salad bar, I am not on TikTok.  You may find that hard to believe since I have now featured two things from TikTok in the past couple of weeks, honestly, I just stumble upon them. This appealed to me because I liked the idea of a chicken cobbler. Essentially, it is a much easier version of chicken potpie without the bottom crust. I was also drawn in by the fact that it used that yummy Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit mix, and I love those biscuits.
 
m not sure if it’s because I wasn’t expecting much that I liked this as well as I did, or if it’s just darn tasty. This is a recipe that I found on TikTok. As I pointed out last week with my refrigerator drawer salad bar, I am not on TikTok.  You may find that hard to believe since I have now featured two things from TikTok in the past couple of weeks, honestly, I just stumble upon them. This appealed to me because I liked the idea of a chicken cobbler. Essentially, it is a much easier version of chicken potpie without the bottom crust. I was also drawn in by the fact that it used that yummy Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit mix, and I love those biscuits.

I changed this recipe up a good bit because as I was assembling it, I thought it needed a few tweaks. I have notated all of that below the recipe. The recipe that you see here, is the original one from TikTok. If you want to see what I did, be sure to read the notes below. I will say that I had second helpings of this. It was super simple to put together, and I would definitely make it again. It
isn't pretty, but it sure is good.

TikTok Chicken Cobbler

 ½ c. (1 stick) unsalted butter

3 c. cooked and shredded chicken

1 12-oz. bag frozen peas and carrots

½ t. garlic powder

2 c. milk

2 c. Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit mix

2 c. chicken stock

1 10.5-oz. can cream of chicken soup

 Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350°F.

 Put butter in a 9x13-inch baking dish and place in oven to melt while oven preheats.

 Once butter has melted, remove pan from oven. Arrange chicken in an even layer over butter. Next, add peas and carrots over the top. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

 In a medium bowl, mix together milk and biscuit mix. Pour over chicken and vegetables but do not mix the layers together.

In the same (now empty) bowl, whisk together cream of chicken soup and chicken stock. Pour over biscuit layer, but again, do not mix layers together.

 Bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes. Mixture will be runny, but will thicken to gravy consistency. Let sit 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

 COOK’S NOTES:

1. I did not use a stick of butter, I used a half a stick (4 tablespoons). One stick just seemed like too much to me.

2. After I scattered the chicken in the bottom of the pan, I topped it with a generous sprinkling of Montreal chicken seasoning.

3. Instead of using a bag of frozen peas and carrots, I used a bag of frozen mixed vegetables that included corn and green beans in addition to the peas and carrots. I liked the greater variety of vegetables here.

4. I did not use the garlic powder, but I did use the seasoning mix that came in the packet of biscuits, and I used the entire amount of biscuit mix rather than measure out 2 cups.

5. I thought 2 cups of chicken stock seemed like too much, so I only used a cup and a half, and it was plenty moist.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

5 comments:

Marie Smith said...

The frozen peas and carrots make this recipe easy. Looks so good.

Linda said...

My God that looks good. Thank you for those Cook's Notes! Hubs would like it better with the variety of frozen veggies. So was the cobbler texture kind of dumpling-ish? Would you believe I have not yet bought a box of Cheddar Bay Biscuit mix? And I love Cheddar Bay biscuits!

thepaintedapron.com said...

This sounds so good Pattie, and I like your tweaks. I am definitely going to save this, I love the idea of using the Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix!
Jenna

Gina said...

This sounds delish to me! Easier than pie crust, too! I have a similar recipe using a beefy filling with Jiffy cornbread mix on top. I would label it OK for families but I haven't made it in some time for just little ole me.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Linda, the topping was more like biscuits than dumplings. I’m not really all that well-versed in what dumplings are like, but I do think they are a bit soggier than this turned out to be. You will just have to try it for yourself.