Monday, March 18, 2024

Pineapple Sloppy Joes

 

In case you’re unaware, today is National Sloppy Joe Day. I decided to celebrate by trying something new. Recently, I found a chili recipe that called for pineapple. I thought that sounded really interesting, so decided that I was going to make sloppy joes and add pineapple to them. They turned out better than I had anticipated. They are intensely flavorful with the perfect amount of sweetness. I added about a half-teaspoon of hot sauce to give them extra zing. Add more cider vinegar if you prefer to cut the sweetness a bit. Do give these a try. My guess is that the family is going to love them.

Pineapple Sloppy Joes

 2 lbs. ground chuck

1 medium onion, chopped

1 T. Melissa’s minced garlic

 Hawaiian BBQ Sauce

 1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple (in 100% juice), undrained

1 c. ketchup

1/4 c. molasses

2 T. packed brown sugar

2 T. low sodium soy sauce

1 T. Dijon mustard

1 T. cider vinegar

1 t. salt

½ t. EACH ground ginger, smoked paprika, pepper

¼ t. EACH cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano

Hot sauce to taste

 In a 12-inch skillet, over medium heat, brown ground chuck with onions, breaking up clumps. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Drain on paper towel-lined plate.

 In a small bowl, whisk together all of the barbecue sauce ingredients.

 Return drained beef to skillet and pour barbecue sauce over all. Stir well to combine, and simmer for 15 minutes.

 Serve on Hawaiian hamburger buns for additional sweetness; I preferred toasted brioche buns.  As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

4 comments:

Gina said...

This is such a great idea - I can imagine that they are sweet and tangy. I will make them soon!

Linda said...

Pineapple - yes! Looks delicious.

thepaintedapron.com said...

Oh boy, my mouth is watering! I can't wait to make this Pattie, my grandsons will love it!
Jenna

Marie Smith said...

I would love this! Yummy. Thank you for sharing.