Friday, March 22, 2024

Dolly Parton's Stampede Soup (Copycat)

Despite the fact that I have lived in Missouri pretty much all of my life, I have never been to Branson, ergo, am unfamiliar with Dolly Parton’s Stampede Dinner Theater, that, from what I’ve read, has attracted millions of people (at last count a whopping 20 million). Supposedly it is the world’s most visited dinner show attraction.

Part of its appeal, I’m told, is the four-course meal served in tandem with stunning live performances. A mainstay on the menu for decades is the show’s beloved Dolly Parton Stampede Soup. I had never heard of this before, the ingredients are few, and it sounded too easy to be any good, so naturally, I had to try it. I quite liked it. Don’t let its humble appearance fool you. It’s mild, but flavorful — real comfort food, particularly when served with biscuits on the side. I tend to make soup year round, and I think this will be the perfect summer soup, although indulging in winter is nice too. Next time, to make it heartier, I may just add a little cooked chicken.

Dolly Parton's Stampede Soup (Copycat)

From tasteofhome.com

 4 c. chicken stock*

1 bay leaf

1 t. onion powder

1 t. garlic powder

1 t. kosher salt

½ t. freshly ground black pepper

¼ c. cornstarch

¼ c. water

2 c. heavy cream

2 c. frozen mixed vegetables, partially thawed (e.g., a medley of green beans, carrots, corn and peas)

2 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)

In a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot, combine the chicken stock, bay leaf, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.

 In a small glass measuring cup, dissolve the cornstarch into the water, whisking together until lump-free.

 Once the seasoned stock is simmering, whisk the cornstarch slurry and heavy cream into the pot, and whisking until smooth.

 Add the vegetables to the soup (you can roughly chop them into smaller bite-sized pieces if yours are on the larger side). Bring the soup back to a simmer and then let cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, about 10 to 12 minutes.

 Once thickened, remove the bay leaf and then stir in the fresh parsley. Ladle into bowls and serve hot.

 *I use my own homemade 

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

5 comments:

Linda said...

A creamy vegetable soup - yum! We went to Branson as part of our honeymoon - back in 1969 - so you can bet it was not the big deal it is now. We were only 21, so we thought it was a big deal - lol!

Donna said...

Well, it looks good! May have to give it a try!
hugs
Donna

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Interesting about Dolly Parton Dinner Theater. The soup looks easy to convert to vegetarian . I too love soup regardless of the season or weather.

Marie Smith said...

This is a different recipe with the cornstarch and cream. I will try it.

sandy said...

That soup looks and sounds so good.