Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Creamy Ham and Potato Soup

 
For Easter (remember it?) I decided that I wanted to make myself a ham dinner, so I bought myself a small ham, and I am talking tiny. But, like the fishes and the loaves, this ham seemed to last forever. I had ham and eggs, ham salad, ham sandwiches (both hot and cold), ham steak, I was half out of my mind with ham, and I do believe I was starting to oink. This, thankfully, is the last of it, in this tasty ham of potato chowder.
Creamy Ham and Potato Soup

Slightly adapted from smalltownwoman.com

 2 T. olive oil

1 yellow onion, chopped

2 stalks celery chopped

1 carrot, sliced into thin rounds

1 3-lb. bag Melissa’s Peewee Dutch Yellow potatoes, halved

2 c. cubes fully cooked ham

2 cloves garlic, minced

½ t. onion powder

2 T. chopped parsley

3 c. chicken broth

3 T. butter

3 T. flour

1 c. whole milk

Salt and pepper

 In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, celery, carrot, potatoes, and ham. Sauté until the onions become translucent, approximately 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, onion powder, and parsley; cook for 1 minute.

 Stir in the chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce and simmer until the potatoes are tender, approximately 15 minutes.

In a skillet, melt butter and whisk in flour. Whisk over low heat for 3-4 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk to make it creamy and remove any lumps. When thoroughly mixed and thickened, slowly whisk or stir into soup. Simmer until warm and season with salt and pepper to taste.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


4 comments:

Linda said...

We bought a ham too and I froze dinner-sized portions of it. I like your addition of carrots! I made a ham and potato soup from Allrecipes once, and Hubs said it was "just OK" (he likes plain), but I really liked it. Your recipe looks so much better!

Marie Smith said...

I make a similar ham soup. Love it!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I'm on the same page with you! I made soup this week too. Of course no ham but it did contain potatoes. Sounds like you have had enough ham for a while.

Gina said...

Just finished the Christmas ham last month, so I'm right there with you. But I do love a creamy potato soup with a touch of that ham flavor. I fear we are out of soup season until at least November around these parts. But that does look inviting!