Friday, April 12, 2024

Jamie Oliver’s Minestrone

 
I recently read an article about an Italian family who boasted longevity. Family members would routinely live well into their upper 90s many even into the hundreds; the most recent member of their family to pass did so at the age of 109. When asked to what they attributed their longevity, a spokesperson from the family said that every day for lunch they had a bowl of minestrone, a piece of bread, and a glass of wine. Guess who has altered her lunch plans from here on out? Yes, that would be me. I decided to try a different recipe for minestrone than the one that I generally use, and chose this one by Jamie Oliver. This is the first time that I have ever used kale in soup, and I really liked it. Now for that piece of bread and glass of wine..catch you later.

Jamie Oliver’s Minestrone

Slightly adapted

 1 clove of garlic

2 small onions

Extra virgin olive oil

2 bay leaves

2 carrots

2 ribs celery

2 large handfuls of curly kale

1 14.5-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes

1 15.5-oz. can cannellini beans

1 15-oz. can kidney beans

1 T. vegetable soup base

½ c. ditalini pasta

Parmesan cheese

Crusty bread, to serve

 Peel and finely chop the garlic and onion. Put a large shallow casserole pan on a medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.

Add the garlic and the bay leaves, followed by the onions.

Trim and chop the carrots and celery into rough ¼” dice, adding to the pan as you go. Remove and finely chop any tough stalks from your greens and add to the pan. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring regularly, or until softened and caramelized.

 Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, beans, and a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

 Shred your greens and sprinkle into the pan, add soup base, and top up with 4 c. of boiling water. Add the pasta, cover, and leave to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the pasta is just cooked and the soup has thickened to your liking.  

 Season the soup to perfection, then serve it with a grating of Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


6 comments:

Gina said...

This looks delish and inviting, and it reminds me of our Italian babysitter in Galveston. She could cook a mean soup!

Marie Smith said...

Great addition to soup season. Thank you!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

The recipe looks good and enjoyed your story. Wine with lunch? I'd be sleepy all afternoon.

Linda said...

I'm with you - soup, bread, wine - doesn't get much better than that! I bet their choice of wine is red. Mine is white Zinfandel, so it probably doesn't quality as a life lengthener - lol! That minestrone really does look good.

Balvinder said...

I love Minestrone soup and yours look good But I can not eat everyday. I think good balanced diet, physical activity, and few other things are the secrets of longevity.

Donna said...

This looks incredibly delicious!
Your comment on my blog had me laughing SO hard, girlfriend! I really needed it!! Birds can definitely be a hazard! Lololol...
Big hug and thanks
Donna