Thursday, April 4, 2024

Levain Bakery’s Chocolate Chip Crush Cookies

 
Having tried Levain Bakery’s oatmeal raisin cookies (you can see the results here), I thought it high time that I give their chocolate chip cookies (that they have named Chocolate Chip Crush Cookies for some reason) a try as well. It seems as though there are almost as many recipes for chocolate chip cookies as there are chocolate chips in the bag. Not that I’m complaining, I enjoy making and eating them. These were very good. They’re thick, and I like that in a cookie. It really feels as though you’re sinking your teeth into something substantial. I also liked all of the walnuts, considering they are one of my favorite nuts. When you eat a Levain cookie, you know you’ve eaten a cookie. I find it interesting that they don’t use vanilla in their cookies. The cookies didn’t suffer from it, in fact, they may be onto something here.  Without the vanilla the focus was more on the chocolate and nuts, and isn’t that the way it should be?Levain Bakery’s Chocolate Chip Crush Cookies

 1 c. cold butter cut into small cubes

1 c. brown sugar

½ c. sugar

2 eggs

1½ c. cake flour

1½ c. flour

1 t. cornstarch

¾ t. baking soda

¾ t. salt

2 c. dark chocolate chips

2 c. walnuts, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 410ºF.

In the work bowl of a stand mixer cream together cold cubed butter, brown sugar, and sugar for 4 minutes or until creamy.

Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one.

Stir in flours, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.

 Separate dough into large balls and place on a parchment or Silpat-lined baking sheet. These are large cookies, so allow only 4-5 per baking sheet; the dough makes 8 extra large cookies.

 Bake for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown on the top. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


4 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Yummy. Our grandkids would love these.

Linda said...

I'm always up for another try at Levain! I've never eaten an actual Levain, but I have a photo of the Levain chocolate chip cookie in my recipe folder - "the ultimate chocolate chip cookie" is what I titled it. It is interesting about no vanilla - I will have to force myself not to use it!

thepaintedapron.com said...

Wow Pattie, that's got to be the king of chocolate chip cookies!
Jenna

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

One thing that I failed to mention where these cookies are concerned. I divided the dough in half, and rolled each half into a log. I then sliced those logs into half inch segments, froze the segments, and put them into a freezer bag. Then, when I want one cookie, I will put it into the air fryer at 350° for 15 minutes, and it comes out bakery fresh and delicious.