Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tate's Bake Shop Chocolate Chip Cookies

I was looking forward to being snowed in today and spending all of my time in the kitchen testing new recipes from the enormous stack of coffeetable-sized cookbooks that I collected from the library recently, nearly throwing my back out when I lugged them to the car.  I did just that - for TEN HOURS - and when push came to shove, none of them really thrilled me.  I tried Marsala Mushroom Soup from The Italian Slow Cooker cookbook and it didn't hold a candle to the recipe I currently use.  I tried Whole Lemon Muffins from The Pastry Queen Royally Good Recipes cookbook and despite the fact that an ENTIRE lemon (skin, pith and all) goes into this recipe it just didn't taste all that lemony to me (although my husband loved them, so I may write about them later).  I also tried a new recipe for barbecue sauce when I found that I didn't have any to cover my seared ready-for-the-oven pork steaks and had to make some.  Sadly the bottled variety I usually use was better than the homemade version, alas.  

I did learn something though.  I learned that sometimes old favorites are the best.  So I lifted the lid on the cookie jar and pulled out a chocolate chip cookie.  Nothing says comfort like chocolate chips, and while it did nothing for my stiff neck, sore back, and aching feet, it did wonders for my soul.

Thin and crispy, yet rich and chewy, indulge yourself in a batch of Tate's Bake Shop Chocolate Chip Cookies.  You deserve them!

Tate's Bake Shop Chocolate Chip Cookies.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease, or parchment-line 2-3 cookie sheets.  In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt. In another large bowl, cream the butter and sugars, then add the water and vanilla.  Mix until just combined.  Add eggs to the butter mixture and mix them lightly.  Stir in the flour mixture.  When flour is mixed in, fold in the chocolate chips. Drop 2 tablespoonfuls of the cookie dough, 2-inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.  (I used a cookie scoop for this.)  Make sure the cookie sheets are well greased.  I like to use parchment paper.  Bake for 12-17 minutes or until the edges and centers of the cookies are golden brown.  Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire racks.

For more tasty recipes from Tate's Bake Shop, I recommend their cookbook.  It is chock full of deliciousness.

Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook: The Best Recipes from Southampton's Favorite Bakery for Homestyle Cookies, Cakes, Pies, Muffins, and Breads

No comments: