Friday, September 9, 2011

Baked Egg Custard with Gruyere and Chives for Two

I love brunch, and because I love brunch, I also love brunch recipes, and really love brunch recipes that can be both made ahead, and scaled down to two so we can enjoy them on no other occasion than that I just wanted something special for breakfast.  This tasty little custard fills the bill quite nicely, goes together in a hurry, and will seem as if you labored all morning.  With nothing more needed than a little blender that can go easily into the dishwasher, clean-up is also a breeze.  The next time I make these, and I will, I'll add a little more of the grated Gruyere on top for a better presentation and just a tad more cheese.

Baked Egg Custard with Gruyere and Chives for Two

1/2 cup coarsely grated Gruyere
2 Tablespoons chopped chives
3 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon instant minced onion
3/8 cups whole milk
1 ounce cream cheese, softened
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with rack in middle. 
Butter 2 6-oz. ramekins into which you will place 1/4 cup grated Gruyere and 1 tablespoon of chives in each. 
In a mini blender (if you have one, regular blender, if not) place eggs, minced onion, milk, cream cheese, and nutmeg along with a few gratings of freshly ground paper and a pinch of salt. 
Blend thoroughly.
Pour egg mixture over Gruyere and chives, and bake until puffed, set, and golden, about 22 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Have a great weekend!

This post is linked to:

3 comments:

AllThingsYummy said...

oh yum, looks like the perfect morning dish serving brunch for two.

Kathleen said...

Those look so good!
I love brunch too!

The Tablescaper said...

OK, I think I need to clean up the drool off of my lap top. These look sooo good. I can't wait to try them.

- The Tablescaper