Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Patchwork Cookies


As many of you know, my mother passed away on Monday of this week.   It was not unexpected, and yet, I find myself at a total loss, baffled by the finality of death. To prepare for Friday's services I've been going through boxes of old family photos. It's been bittersweet, both sad and comforting at the same time. I was struck by how many of the pictures involved food and family dinners. Even this ridiculous photo of me with my best college friend, Angela (she the beautiful one on the left, me the one on the right with the wild-eyed look of a potential serial killer) involved this silly cake, obtained at 50% off from the Target bakery when it had been abandoned by Irving and his family. Foodies even then, we'd spend weekends working on geology homework while tending to something delicious that was baking in the oven.


One of our favorite things to make, perhaps because it was such an easy recipe, was Patchwork Cookies. The recipe is old and faded, written in Angela's crooked hand, and splattered with years of ingredients, but it's the one I always use. It has such a fond history that to rewrite it would just seem wrong.

The versatility of this recipe comes in the decorating. Select colors and candy toppings appropriate for the nearest holiday or occasion.


Patchwork Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 12-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Decorations

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9" x 13" baking pan with vegetable spray.

Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beat until well blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in flour, beating just to blend. Spread evenly over the bottom of the baking pan.

Bake for 18 to 22 minutes until golden. Remove from oven; quickly sprinkle chocolate chips over the bakes cookies. Bake an additional 2-3 minutes to melt. Remove immediately and spread the chocolate evenly over the top.

Mark off into squares. Top each with a variety of decorations, alternating to give the appearance of a patchwork quilt.

Chill until frosting is set.



This post is linked to:

4 comments:

Alycia Nichols said...

Once again, Pattie, from the bottom of my heart, I am so sorry about your Mom. I'll send up an extra prayer on Friday for your family and your Mom's soul. As for the photo you posted of you and your college BFF, you hardly have the look for a potential serial killer. Silly thing! I am glad you are able to keep in touch with your humor during this difficult time. I guess it's that little thing called "hope." Take care.

Linda said...

I am so sorry about your Mom. You are in my prayers.

My Mom died in 2010 at 98, so naturally her death was expected, but I was broken-hearted to lose her, and I still feel her absence keenly.

Love the photo. The cookies sound like they would be chewy and buttery good.

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

My deepest condolences to you and your family, Pattie.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your dear Mother, Pattie. I did enjoy seeing the photo of you and your best friend. Food is the glue that holds us together, isn't it? What a pretty picture you shared of the patchwork cookies. My thoughts and prayers are with you.