Monday, September 23, 2013

Coconut Macaroons


When the weather turns cool and the humidity drops (here in the Mississippi Valley that means 45%) it’s time to make macaroons.  As I was taking a couple of meals to dad, and knowing that he loves them, I decided to make a batch.  I always think of my number two son when I do.  Not because he loves them, but because he hates them.  It’s not the taste of coconut that bothers him, no, it’s the texture.  He describes it as bits of dried skin.  Graphic, right?  It kinda makes you think, doesn’t it?  It still doesn’t stop me from making them, or keep me from loving them, or appreciating the fact that they stir together quickly, bake up on two cookie sheets, and are ready for gobbling within the hour.

I like them with almond flavoring, big almond fan that I am, but they are equally delicious with vanilla.  I melted some milk chocolate chips to drizzle over the top, more for appearance than for taste (because, truth be told, you couldn’t taste the chocolate), you can add more, dip the bottoms in chocolate, or dip half of the macaroon in chocolate for greater visual appeal and a luscious chocolate taste.  Pretty much any way you decide to make them, they will be good.

Coconut Macaroons

1 bag (14 ounces) sweetened flaked coconut
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 extra large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 325° F.

Combine the coconut, condensed milk, flour, and extract in a large bowl. In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites and salt on high speed until they form stiff peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.

Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using an ice cream scoop.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.  Drizzle with chocolate, if desired,



This post is linked to:

5 comments:

Deborah Lacy said...

These look so yummy! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Mary said...

Your macaroons look wonderful with the drizzle of chocolate! I like the idea of the bottoms dipped too. I'm sort of middle of the road on coconut, the 'dried bits of skin' description definitely curbs my enthusiasm :)

~~louise~~ said...

I'm not much of a Macaroon fan either Pattie, but, I must admit, they sure do look good!

Thanks for sharing...

Unknown said...

I LOVE coconut macaroons! I recently got a mixer, so I've been meaning to get around to making these. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Lisa Boyle said...

These look amazing! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I look forward to seeing what you will share this week! :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/09/try-new-recipe-tuesday-october-1.html