Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Superior Pecan Spread

 

The excruciatingly correct Mr. O-P does not like the name of this dish. He argues that nothing can be called superior until taste-tested against all others of its type, and even then cannot be truly referred to as superior because of varying tastes. Sometimes Mr. O-P can be downright punchable!

This blog post is for everyone who attended the Boxing Day dinner, sampled this spread, and begged for the recipe. I have yet to meet anyone whom this does not please. Adults like it, children like it (tested on children as young as three, who gobbled it up with delight), my green pepper-hating son likes it. 

It is easy, can be prepared a day ahead (store the toasted, chopped pecans separately and add just prior to baking), and requires no special serveware, just a simple pie plate, yet still manages to look elegant. 

The recipe dates back to the seventies, and has served me well, year after year. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. 

Superior Pecan Spread

1 8-ounce package Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
2 Tablespoons whole milk
1 2-ounce package dried beef (Buddig recommended), diced
¼ cup green pepper, finely diced
4 scallions, finely chopped
½ cup sour cream
½ teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped, toasted

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Place all ingredients (EXCEPT PECANS) into a medium mixing bowl and beat together, using a hand mixer, until thoroughly combined.  Spread in the bottom of an 8-inch pie plate, and sprinkle toasted pecans on top to cover.  Place into preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until hot and bubbling at the edges.  Serve hot with the cracker of your choice.  Can be made ahead and refrigerated up to one day before baking.

This post is linked to:

7 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

What an intriguing recipe, Pattie. I don't remember it from the 70s, which is kind of surprising. It was the heyday of my digging up the unusual.

I'm guessing Mr. O-P changed his mine after you received all the rave reviews:)

Thanks for sharing, Pattie...

Linda said...

Look delicious! I've seen this recipe in some of my old cookbooks but never tried it. I think my husband, my "picky child" ;), would like this as long as I chop the green peppers into smithereens. :)

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Evening Pattie, I was thinking about what Mr O-P said about superior and I think I have an answer for you. Your Pecan spread can be the most superior, as it is the most superior spread you have ever tasted so far. So it has to be "Top of the Pops". Once you taste another pecan spread which you feel is better, then that one will be the most superior..... I'm not convinced that he will agree though.... but what we can agree on, is that this Pecan Spread looks fabulous and I for one am going to make it.
Best Wishes
Daphne

Mary said...

Pattie, I have to say your pecan spread looks AND sounds superior! I hope you punched Mr. O-P :)

Teri said...

I think this sounds so yummy, and I would love to serve this at my Super Bowl party! We are having a Super Bowl Eats and Treats Linky Party, and I'd love if you would link this, or any other recipe that says "Super Bowl" to you! It can be appetizers, desserts, parties, crafts, sandwiches, anything and as many, as you want. We would love to have you! http://bit.ly/Lvc0q2

Miz Helen said...

Hi Patti,
I am so excited to get this recipe, I had it at a party, but failed to get the recipe, it is delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
Miz Helen

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

OH!!! I have made this for years!!! I have always called it: "dried beef dip"! It is WONDERFUL and yes, everyone LOVES it! Thanks for reminding me to get that recipe card out now!