Friday, March 6, 2015

Vintage Bar Guides & Boozy Recipes

My dad was doing a bit of spring cleaning in his bar and gave me all of these cool bar guides. Some of these date back to the early sixties, and all of them are just oozing with charm.
As far as I know my dad still has and uses this malt mixer. I remember, as a kid, thinking it was so neat to be able to make a malt at home. I grew up with this.
Malt Mixer Guide Interior
I think a cola malt sounds awesome!
I love the text and drawings in this bar guide.
Remember slide rules? Here's one with cocktail recipes. Check out number 43! I never remember hearing of a drink called a Bosom Caresser!
STORMY WEATHER
2 ounces gin
1 ounce Italian Vermouth
3 dashes Curacao
1 dash orange juice

Stir. Strain. Enjoy.

POET'S DREAM
1 ounce gin
1/2 ounce French Vermouth
2 dashes Benedictine
2 dashes Orange Bitters

Stir. Strain. Enjoy.

BOSOM CARESSER
2 ounces whiskey
1 ounce Curacoa
Splash of Grenadine
Yolk of an egg (Ew!)

Shake. Stir. Try to choke it down. 


This post is linked to:
   

5 comments:

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Very nice! I'm going to try all of the recipes...except for the one with the raw egg. Too chicken. :-) Have a great weekend.

Audrey said...

Bosom Caresser - oh my! ha ha. Beautiful vintage finds.

Found you on You're Gonna Love It

Morsels of Life | CJ Huang said...

Such interesting vintage finds! Thanks for stopping by and sharing this on Five Friday Finds! I'm looking forward to what you share this week. :)

~~louise~~ said...

Oh my gosh Pattie, your Dad had some real gems here. Bar Guides are so difficult to find these days. They have become quite collectible. Treasure them:)

Thank you so much for sharing them for Cookbook Wednesday...

Miz Helen said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
Miz Helen