Monday, October 12, 2015

Beer Bread



While I am a definite fan of sweet quick breads (This Brown Sugar Banana Bread being one of my favorites.), I wasn't so sure that I would be much of a fan of the savory quick bread. To have a quick bread that was not sweet just didn’t seem right somehow. Wrong! Allow me to introduce you to a delicious, easy quick bread that my aunt made for dad and me when we all got together for lunch last week. This is so good that I couldn’t stop eating it. Slathered with butter, it makes a wonderful addition to any meal; piled alongside a bowl of soup, stew, or chili, it will be amazing! Here is the recipe from my aunt (Thank you, Carol!) along with her notes in parentheses. Honestly, you cannot go wrong with this one, and everyone will love it.
Beer Bread

3 cups flour (I didn’t sift, but I did spoon it into the measuring cup before leveling)
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 Tablespoons baking powder (1 Tbsp. plus 1-1/2 tsp.)
3 Tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon dried oregano, dried basil, or cracked rosemary, optional (I didn’t use any herbs)
1 12-ounce bottle of beer, room temperature

Topping:

¼ cup butter, melted
¼ teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a loaf pan (5” x 9” or 4.5” x 8.5” both work), set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and herbs, if using. Add the beer and stir until blended. Turn mixture into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour.

Combine the butter and garlic powder. Remove the bread from the oven. Pour the butter mixture over the top. Allow the bread to rest in the pan for 10-15 minutes before removing.

Yield: 12 slices

The bread is easier to slice when cool, but is so delicious when warm.


This post is linked to:

No comments: