Saturday, January 2, 2016

Raspberry Almond Thumbprints



I love Christmas cookies, but there is seldom a year when I actually have time to bake them before the holidays. So this year, I'm campaigning for New Year's Cookies, and have decided to start the New Year with this old favorite. A Land 'O Lakes recipe from years back, it never fails to please. These cookies are equally good for Valentine's or Mother's Day, so I am prepared well in advance. They take a bit of time to make, but their buttery almond goodness with the sweet tartness of raspberry jam is a taste you will crave. The recipe calls for a glaze, but I just figure, why bother when powdered sugar is close at hand, or if you're trying to impress no one, just pop them naked into your mouth.
Raspberry Almond Thumbprints

1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup raspberry jam (or any of your favorites)

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract

Combine butter, sugar, and extract in medium mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low and add flour, beating to blend. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb (edges may crack slightly). Fill each indentation with about 1/4 teaspoon jam.

Bake 14-18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to cooling rack. Cool completely.

Combine all glaze ingredients in bowl with whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cookies.

This post is linked to:

3 comments:

Linda said...

I love thumbprints! Yours look delicious. I'm all for New Year's Cookies and will campaign on that trail! :)

Unknown said...

In Australia we call them Jam Drops and yours are perfection! I always seem to have jam bubbling up and oozing all over....very messy! I also love the addition of almond, one of my fav flavours! Happy New Year!

Rebecca said...

These look wonderful! Raspberry is on my my FAV flavors! I adore thumbprint cookies...so awesome combination! Drop by if you get a chance!

Cottage Blessings,
Rebecca
at Chippy White Cottage