Sunday, February 12, 2017

Slow Cooker Christmas Day Taco Soup


It just occurred to me that I have not yet shared with you an easy soup recipe that simmers all day in the slow cooker while you are busy getting a bunch of things done. So, for today's "Sip Some Soup Sunday" I'm going to give you the recipe for the soup that I made on Christmas Day.

There's a bit of a back-story here. On Christmas Day I did nothing other than cook and clean. This is because my big party is on Boxing Day, the day after Christmas. Honestly, I don't mind spending Christmas Day on my own. It's very calming; I can pretty much relax and enjoy myself between frantic bits of cooking and cleaning. I'll binge watch Christmas movies on television, always have a nice fire going in the fireplace, and it's become a bit of a ritual for me over the past number of years. Around about noon I came to the realization that while I was making all kinds of food for my party the next day, I hadn’t done anything about feeding myself that day. So, I opened up the pantry grabbed a wide variety of ingredients, all with a bit of a Mexican theme, and tossed them into the crockpot while I browned some ground chuck. As it cooked, the house was filled with the most wonderful spicy aroma, and by day’s end I dug into a most welcome and fabulous soup. This is an easy one, and it's really good.
 Slow Cooker Christmas Day Taco Soup

1 pound ground chuck, crumbled, browned, and drained
2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained
1 15-oz. can corn, drained
1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
1 10-oz. can Rotel tomatoes
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes

Dump everything into the slow cooker in the order listed and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Top with whatever tickles your fancy. I used scallions, grated cheese, and crumbled Fritos.

This post is linked to:

7 comments:

Linda said...

You had me at crumbled Fritos. ;) This looks fabulous and I happen to have most of the ingredients. Even though it's forecast to be 85 degrees today (ugh!) soup sounds really good.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Patti this looks amazing and definitely going on my to-make-asap list!!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

A satisfying soup to get us through winter. Love the idea of a Taco soup. Thank you for sharing this recipe at DI&DI.

Marigene said...

Another delicious looking dish to make...soups are our favorite during the winter. Thanks for sharing, Pattie.

The Lazy Gastronome said...

Looks like a delicious ANY day taco soup!! I'd love to have you share this recipe at the Taco Tuesday link up!

http://www.lazygastronome.com/taco-tuesday-taco-inspired-recipe-link-5/

Unknown said...

This soup looks good! Although as a native Mexican, I would probably top it with salsa and add lots of lime juice :)

Miz Helen said...

I love your Christmas Day Taco Soup and thanks so much for sharing it with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back to see us real soon!
Miz Helen