Thursday, July 27, 2017

Vanilla Bean Syrup


One of the difficulties of being a food blogger is that sometimes the food just isn't pretty. Stews, for example, are very difficult to photograph, because essentially, they're brown. There is a bit of saving grace with them in that you can top them with chopped parsley to give a little depth, and that hint of green.

The recipe today is for Vanilla Bean Syrup, but I couldn't sprinkle parsley on top of this one. It's nothing special to look at, but it is special to taste. The temps are going to be in the low hundreds all week, and so it is the perfect time for cold brew coffee. I always keep a big mason jar of cold brew in the fridge, so I decided to add another mason jar of vanilla syrup to go along with it for those days when I’m feeling a bit sweet.
 
This is essentially simple syrup with a vanilla bean scraped and added, and simmered for a bit. I couldn't believe how delicious it was. I had planned on using it strictly with cold brew coffee, but I have found it is delicious in cold brew tea as well (and I'm not a fan of sweet tea), not to mention drizzled on top of fresh fruit garnished with a hint of mint. I know I'm going to be making this again and again this summer, in fact, I ordered more vanilla beans this week so that I have plenty on hand. This is easy to make, well worth your time to do so, keeps in the fridge for a couple of weeks, and there are so many uses. You have to try this!
Vanilla Bean Syrup

½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup filtered water
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large vanilla bean

Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Slit vanilla bean down the center. Scrape out the seeds and add to the mix along with the vanilla bean itself; stir in. Whisk constantly, over medium heat, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbling. Reduce the heat to low and cook for an additional 2 to 4 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in a jar. Keeps in the fridge for 10-14 days (if it lasts that long!).
This post is linked to:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about some foods that just don't photograph pretty but taste great!
I love vanilla anything so I can only imagine how good this tastes as a flavoring in coffee or tea.
I think your photos look good and I like the sprig of mint- it's a nice touch.

Alycia Nichols said...

Yes!!!!