The process is straightforward: whisk eggs with garlic, fresh basil, salt, pepper, and a creamy element, then fold in sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, and crumbled feta. Pour the mixture into a baking dish, bake until set, cool, and cut into neat squares. Layer each square onto an English muffin half, add crispy bacon, top with the other half, and you’re done.
I made a few easy swaps based on what I already had. Instead of fresh spinach I used thawed frozen spinach. I didn’t have oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, so I reached for sun-dried tomato pesto. Greek yogurt isn’t something I keep on hand, so I used sour cream. And while the recipe calls for no-sugar-added bacon, I went with the regular kind I prefer. (I also microwaved the bacon because it is SO MUCH quicker and easier than doing it in the oven.) The result still tasted fantastic, it was, essentially, my own version inspired by the original.
These sandwiches are a true busy-morning lifesaver. The egg bake is packed with protein and bright Mediterranean flavors, the English muffins hold up beautifully in the freezer, and reheating takes just a minute or two. I now have a stocked freezer full of healthy, flavorful breakfasts that feel fresh every time.
Adapted from EVERYDAY EATS
8 slices bacon (no-sugar-added if preferred)
8 large eggs
⅓ c. whole-milk plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
2 garlic cloves, minced
⅓ c. finely chopped fresh basil
1 t. kosher salt
½ t. freshly ground black pepper
⅓ c. roughly chopped Melissa’s oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained (or Melissa’s sun-dried tomato pesto)
2 c. finely chopped baby spinach (fresh or thawed frozen)
½ c. crumbled feta cheese
8 English muffins
Hot sauce, optional for serving
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325°F. Line a plate with paper towels and a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
Arrange the bacon in a single layer on the prepared sheet pan (do not overlap). Bake until just crisp, about 20 minutes. Transfer to the paper-towel-lined plate and set aside.
Generously spray a 9×13-inch baking dish or quarter sheet pan with avocado oil spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt (or sour cream), garlic, basil, salt, and pepper until well combined and slightly frothy. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes (or pesto), spinach, and feta.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake on the middle rack until the eggs are fully set, 22–25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
Cut the cooled egg bake into 8 even squares. Slice the English muffins in half. Place one egg square on the bottom half of each muffin, break a bacon strip in half and place both pieces on top of the egg, then crown with the remaining muffin half.
Wrap each sandwich tightly in parchment paper or foil. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or place in a large freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 1 month.
To reheat: Unwrap and microwave on a microwave-safe plate for 60–90 seconds from the fridge or 90–120 seconds from frozen. Serve with hot sauce if desired.
These sandwiches deliver bright flavor, solid protein, and zero morning stress. Bake a batch this weekend and thank yourself all week long.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
No comments:
Post a Comment