Monday, August 21, 2023

Brennan’s Oatmeal Custard

 
Prior to finding this recipe, I had never heard of Brennan's before. Apparently, Brennan's opened in 1967, in Houston, as a sister restaurant to the world-famous Commander's Palace in New Orleans. I have been to Commander's Palace, but whether I had or hadn't been to either of these places, I was interested in trying this recipe. I have been to Commander’s Palace, but whether I had or hadn’t been to either of these places, I was interested in trying this recipe, because I want to add more oatmeal to my diet, and I want it to taste good. I’ve tried the overnight oats. How do you all eat that stuff? There is something decidedly unappetizing about cold, mushy oats, whether there’s fruit and nuts in them or not. I also tried the slow cooker version. That was a complete disaster, causing me no end of scrubbing in my attempt to hack out every last bit. This recipe, however, it’s a real winner! It takes a bit of assembly, and bakes for an hour, so plan accordingly. That said, my guess is that you can make up the various components the night before, stir everything together, and easily slide it into the oven. The fact that it’s baked in a water bath makes it creamy and custardy. It reheats and freezes well, so make a double batch, and enjoy it on those cold days during the winter, or even, as I did, right now.

  Brennan’s Oatmeal Custard

As seen on copycat.com

5 large eggs, beaten

1½ c. whole milk

¾ c. whipping cream

1 c. + 2 T. brown sugar

1 t. ground cinnamon

2½ c. oatmeal

½ t. vanilla extract

1 c. mixed fresh raspberries and blackberries*

1 c. whipped cream, to garnish

 Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease 8 1-cup ramekins with butter or nonstick cooking spray. Place the ramekins in a 9”x13” baking dish with straight sides.

 Thoroughly whisk eggs, milk, and cream. Push the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to fully incorporate the eggs. Discard any residue. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, oatmeal, vanilla, and berries. Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins to within ¼” of the top.

 Fill the baking dish with water to within ¾” of the top of the ramekins and bake, covered, for 1 hour. Remove the ramekins from the water bath and serve warm, garnished with berries and a dollop of whipped cream.

 *I used blueberries because I prefer them.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

2 comments:

Marie Smith said...

This is a must make! Thank you!

Donna said...

This looks Amazing!!
hugs
Donna