Monday, August 7, 2023

Once Upon a Wall

 
So… I did a thing. Or, more accurately, I had a thing done.
If you stare at a blank wall long enough, eventually a light will turn on. This wall has bugged me ever since I moved into this house. I tried a variety of things here from making a gallery wall, to trying to place furniture, to just leaving it empty, and I hated all three. I decided that what I really wanted was some kind of storage space, and started looking on Pinterest at various ways to build in storage under a staircase. While I liked the idea of storage, I liked the idea of a wet bar so much better. I have a full-size refrigerator and freezer in the belly of the beast (the unfinished area), and, of course there’s a sink in the bathroom.  But there’s something highly unappealing about using a sink in the bathroom for purposes other than for what it’s intended.Having spent the early part of the summer moving furniture around down here, getting rid of a too large, too complicated television, and replacing it with a simple to use Roku TV, and finally coming face-to-face with a piece of antique furniture that once belonged to the late Mr. O-P (and that had filled the room with bad juju), happily dragging it to the curb, I found that I had created a wonderful space. The only thing lacking was a place for snacks, cocktails, and a cup of coffee.Joe Rogers of Advanced Carpentry & Remodeling who did my lanai, that later became my conservatory, built in my stained glass window, added skylights, wainscoting, redid my kitchen, and pretty much everything else that has taken place in this house, did this. The bar sink, faucet, and fridge I ordered from Amazon, and couldn’t have been more pleased. Drawer pulls are from Wayfair.com. Cabinet door knobs that will match the drawer pulls that I’m STILL waiting on were ordered from myknobs.com  (proceed with caution here). At the moment I’m trying to figure out exactly how to decorate it to make it both attractive and functional.What do you think?

 Photos by Joe Rogers.

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

This post has been shared on Metamorphosis Monday.

 

8 comments:

Donna said...

I LOVE the space!! You did a wonderful job of it!!
hugs
Donna

Gina said...

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! Making your home uniquely YOU and having more of what you love, none of what you don't love! I see many Happy Hours down in this space - love the floating shelves and the moody color. What a great space for some of your vintage barware and such!

Marie Smith said...

Great job! Hope it gets lots of use.

Linda said...

Pattie it looks fantastic! The fact you went INTO the wall instead of building it out is impressive, and Joe always does such a wonderful job for you. I love a well done wet bar, and I love everything about yours! I love the granite, and your fridge looks like the one we recently ordered from Amazon - very neat looking. Is that a garage behind the wall? I'm glad you got rid of the "bad juju" piece of furniture. :D

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Not the garage, Linda, the unfinished part of the basement that desperately needs organization.

Barbara at Mantel and Table said...

Oh Wow Pattie! That's fabulous! It's beautiful, and I bet you're going to love having everything so close. (I'm with you about using the bathroom sink for other stuff.) Your builder sounds marvelous too - maybe he'd pop over to my house one of these days! :) Thanks for sharing and for the wonderful inspiration!

Kim said...

Pattie, this looks fabulous - what a great idea and use of the space. It will be so handy for you and I'm sure you will get lots of use. Beautiful!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Wow I love it!! Enjoy!!