Friday, August 4, 2023

No Churn Chocolate Malted Oreo Ice Cream

 
Malt powder is not used nearly often enough. When I was a little girl, I used to be able to get little frozen malt cups from the local dairy, the school cafeteria, or the grocery store. They came with their own little wooden spoon attached, and I don’t know what I miss more, the taste of that malt cup, or the taste of that wooden spoon. I have since gotten some of those wooden spoons in order to wax nostalgic, but, until last weekend, had yet to make my own version of the ice cream used in those malt cups. I stumbled upon this recipe on the Half Baked Harvest website and decided to give it a try with my own adjustments. This is the adult version of malted ice cream and it is, in a word, magnificent! If you plan to share it with the kids, don’t add the KahlĂșa, add more vanilla. Either way, you must try this.

No Churn Chocolate Malted Oreo Ice Cream

Adapted from Half Baked Harvest

2½ c. heavy cream

½ c. unsweetened cocoa powder

¼ c. vanilla malted milk powder

2 t. espresso powder

1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk

1 t. vanilla extract

1 T. Kahlua

1 t. Fleur de Sel

16-20 Oreo cookies, crushed

Using an electric mixer, whip the cream, cocoa powder, malted milk powder, and instant espresso in a large bowl until soft peaks form, 1-2 minutes. Add the condensed milk, vanilla, Kahlua, and fleur de sel. Whip to gently combine.

 Fold in the crushed Oreo cookies.

Transfer to a 9”×5” loaf pan; cover and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours. Let the ice cream sit at room temperature 5–7 minutes, then scoop and enjoy!

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

5 comments:

Donna said...

This looks wonderful and creamy!
hugs
Donna

Marie Smith said...

You had me at Kahlua.

Shelly said...

Oh my! I am a big fan of malt, and malt with Kahlua, well, can it get any better??? I'm looking forward to giving this a try!

Gina said...

I don't know why I always assume that homemade ice cream is time consuming - the freezer does all of the work anyway. I do love the flavor of malt! This looks luscious.

Linda said...

Looks delicious Pattie! Hubs would LOVE this. He is very fond of malt powder but hates to pay the price for it, so I'll have to order it online - lol!